2020 Expedition occasionally doesn't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick Kory

Reaction score
Hi, just bought a 2020 XLT. Occasionally (and generally when in a hurry), the car won't start. Press the ignition button and lights flash, headlights flash, but nothing turns over. 15-30 min later, starts right up. Happens once a week, maybe less. Saw some threads on internet that this has happened before and could be related to anti-theft system. Any ideas on what I should tell dealership?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've also had a fair share of strange issues on here related to dead or dying batteries. Even brand new 2020's end up having dead/crappy factory batteries. Just a thought as it sounds electrical most likely.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi, just bought a 2020 XLT. Occasionally (and generally when in a hurry), the car won't start. Press the ignition button and lights flash, headlights flash, but nothing turns over. 15-30 min later, starts right up. Happens once a week, maybe less. Saw some threads on internet that this has happened before and could be related to anti-theft system. Any ideas on what I should tell dealership?

Battery - and/or loose or corroded battery terminal connectors.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never had an issue with our 2019. But its easy to fail start hitting the button before pressing the brake. Could also be as simple as a bad brake pedal switch.

Overtow

Reaction score
I have the reverse of this - every now and again my truck won't actually shut down. I press the button to turn off and nothing happens. I reported this on my warranty service back in February but they were not able to replicate of course. I need to catch it on video...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Msparks

Reaction score

Msparks

Reaction score
Did you find a solution to this problem? My car does the exact same thing and I’m at my wits end with it!

Jhlee730

Reaction score
It has not happened for a couple weeks
I did.charge my battery and possibly a weak battery messes with the security sytem that disables the start

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a 2019 superduty at work that does something similar occasionally. My hypothesis is that it occurs when parked with something near the driver side rear taillight for an extended period of time. It happened to me a couple of times on a recent trip, but it only occurred when there was something very near the rear driver side taillight. In order to reset, I had to get out, lock and shut the door, then reopen.