2020 F150 TPMS compatibility with 08 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just bought a set of nice used 2020 F150 wheels to put on my 2008 ford expedition (all the chrome plating lifted of my wheels leaving white plastic that looks awfull!! can anyone tell me if the 2020 F150 TPMS modules will work with my 08 TPMS receiver or if I need to fit new TPMS modules in the new wheels?

Thanks Gary

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, if anyone wants to know, 2020 F150 TPMS units are NOT compatible with a 2008 ford Expedition!!
I purchased four aftermarket valve stem mounting TPMS from Amazon and fitted them to my new wheels, it claims that the new TPMS work on 315MHz, but after fitting them, inflating the tyres and then putting my car into TPMS learning mode, I place the trigger tool by the front left wheel and the car fails to recognise the new TPMS unit!!
If I put my old wheel on the front left corner and go into learning mode, when I press the trigger tool, the car horn beeps and it asks me to trigger the front right wheel, so it recognizes the old TPMS units. I have tried all 4 new wheels in the front left corner, but my car will not recognise any of the 4 new TPMS. does anyone know if the 2008 ford expedition does use 315MHz or some other frequency and these units are not compatible with my car?
Thanks for any suggestions, the new units are chinese and are marked 0S04386BK-SZ.
Gary

callwill

Reaction score
All i know is that there are 2 different frequencies 315 and 433 and a couple of different mounting types...banded to the rim and Valve stem mounted. There are also a different systems...those that tell you what your tire pressures are and those that compute a tpms error but dont tell you pressures or which tire/sensor is the problem. Currently having a sensor issue on my 2011 and was getting ready to ask questions about the sensors and system...

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still a big fan of Autel's "MaxiTPMS" system. Easy to use, great quality universal sensors, and decent price.

ktjones1212

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just bought a set of nice used 2020 F150 wheels to put on my 2008 ford expedition (all the chrome plating lifted of my wheels leaving white plastic that looks awfull!! can anyone tell me if the 2020 F150 TPMS modules will work with my 08 TPMS receiver or if I need to fit new TPMS modules in the new wheels?

Thanks Gary
I had same situatuion - 20" F150 wheels on 2008 Spedition (18" wheels). Just had NTB replace sensors with the ones compatiable with 2008 - and program. Two years later. No problem. Proable <>$70? Kj

Herby

Reaction score
Since I check my tire pressure weekly, I disabled the TPMS system after a failed module. Frequent tire pressure checks is how my dad did it, back in the day.

callwill

Reaction score
Since I check my tire pressure weekly, I disabled the TPMS system after a failed module. Frequent tire pressure checks is how my dad did it, back in the day.
While your work around is a good thing to do let me relate a personal experience that shows the real value of tpms:

Was on a trip with a buddy of mine, rolling down the highway after leaving baltimore when the TPMS in my buick reported low pressure in one tire , and then another...both on the same side of the car. Had my buddy search for auto services at upcoming exits. Got off and found a place. Nails in both tires. Went flat waiting and were able to be repaired. Did not have to wait (sometimes hours you know) for towing...did not have to replace tires (They did not have my size in stock and it would likely have meant a set of 4 since my rears were different age and brand than front). Godsend!

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well Amazon sent replacement sensors, so I removed the old sensors and tried pairing them to my car, as long as the sensors are not fitted into the wheel, the sensors behaved as they should and paired with my car when I put the car in learning mode and brought the ford trigger tool nearby.. As I had new sensors, I decided to learn all 4 before fitting them in the wheels, that worked perfectly, I then fitted the sensors in the wheels, mounted/balanced the Tyres and fitted the balance wheels to the car. I did NOT try to re-learn the 4 sensors given the issues with the previous sensors!! I have now driven more than 100 miles and the car has not complained about the TPMS system, so I am assuming that it is receiving the signal from the 4 sensors. I am hoping that the trigger tool from ford was just too weak to trigger the sensors once they were mounted inside the rims (wheel acting as an RF screen/block)!! Its my best guess for the moment.. will wait a few more hundred miles before I believe all my issues have been fixed with the TPMS system.. My car definately uses the old 315MHz system.

Gary

Ford Frank

Reaction score
This might be a silly question. But what happens if you don’t have tpms? I have 2011 limited and I’m putting take offs without tpms on it for winter tires. Does the tpms light stay on? I can handle that. Is there beeping or any other warnings?

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This might be a silly question. But what happens if you don’t have tpms? I have 2011 limited and I’m putting take offs without tpms on it for winter tires. Does the tpms light stay on? I can handle that. Is there beeping or any other warnings?
The warning will come on every time you start it.