2021 - Limited Slip axle or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjtully

Reaction score
I think I'd take wakeboarder's suggestion and actually look for the actuator on the differential. If it's there, then the code is correct and they probably hard set the actuator. How many times have companies installed upgraded widgets in their products because they were out of standard widgets just to keep the assembly lines running. Costs them more but maybe not as much as shutting down the line. They just don't enable the upgraded pieces so they act just like standard pieces.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob6805

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What if the label is correct and you do have an ELSD? Have you had the chance to look at your rear differential?
Yes, I will check the rear axle. I'm out of town now so it will have to wait until I get back. I definitely do not have the locker button.

OP
OP
Rob6805

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2021 is also the same way with sticker, axle code and no locker button
Can you check your rear axle to see if the actuator is there like in the pic that was posted?

kjtully

Reaction score
Don't most car rear axles have tags with things like part and serial numbers as well as differential info? What about getting the info off the rear axle tag and looking that up?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well then, the cert sticker is dead wrong. Nice going Ford.
This makes me think they had to make changes based on parts availability. I think its dumb they even took that option off at all, it was nice it was just part of the tow package.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well then, the cert sticker is dead wrong. Nice going Ford.
Does your sticker list Control Trac with ELSD.

The actuator is for Non-Limited Slip axels to allow electronic locking. From what I gather there are 3 types

Non-Limited Slip
Non-Limited Slip w/Control Trac Electronic Limited Slip Diff
Limited-Slip (normal clutch type posi)

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does your sticker list Control Trac with ELSD.

The actuator is for Non-Limited Slip axels to allow electronic locking. From what I gather there are 3 types

Non-Limited Slip
Non-Limited Slip w/Control Trac Electronic Limited Slip Diff
Limited-Slip (normal clutch type posi)
I have not seen a true LS offered on the Gen 4 Expedition, only the electronic model. If there was a true LSD that would be news to me.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The picture that I posted was of an ELSD. I was incorrect on calling it an actuator as I believe it is a hydraulic oil pump.