2021 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be the only one here that hates the plastic covers they have added to engines. Couldn't stand it when they started back in the late '80s, still don't like it. The one on my 2020 Ram is ridiculous...it only covers around 1/3 of the engine, so it's not doing much for noise or heat insulation. It's like they just needed enough room to write 5.7 Hemi on it and stuck it on the back.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I must be the only one here that hates the plastic covers they have added to engines. Couldn't stand it when they started back in the late '80s, still don't like it. The one on my 2020 Ram is ridiculous...it only covers around 1/3 of the engine, so it's not doing much for noise or heat insulation. It's like they just needed enough room to write 5.7 Hemi on it and stuck it on the back.

Yeah, completely different than what is on these things. I think it is purely cost cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2011 5.7L Hemi had a pretty nice looking cover, granted, it was all a heavy plastic, but it still looks good. Sometimes the subtle cosmetic things have a way of making you feel like you got a little more for the money. I get it, it has almost zero real effect (some engines have sound deadening material etc) but seriously... I agree with Loki, likely cost cutting. But I'd say you'd be better off not putting the cardboard undercarriage crap on then removing an engine aesthetic. That junk caused more issues collected mud, hanging down when full, catching on stuff.

If it's cost cutting, that's pretty desperate. Saving probably $30-35 per vehicle when the starting price is $50K+...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If Ford found out the engine covers were causing fires and didn’t immediately issue a recall they’d be effed.

Curious what a “performance” engine cover does?

Loki is correct, just simply has red and white lettering and says Ford Performance on it. Otherwise its pretty identical. I've always enjoyed a good looking engine bay.

Rtrower

Reaction score
My 2011 5.7L Hemi had a pretty nice looking cover, granted, it was all a heavy plastic, but it still looks good. Sometimes the subtle cosmetic things have a way of making you feel like you got a little more for the money. I get it, it has almost zero real effect (some engines have sound deadening material etc) but seriously... I agree with Loki, likely cost cutting. But I'd say you'd be better off not putting the cardboard undercarriage crap on then removing an engine aesthetic. That junk caused more issues collected mud, hanging down when full, catching on stuff.

If it's cost cutting, that's pretty desperate. Saving probably $30-35 per vehicle when the starting price is $50K+...