2022 Expedition - Cracked Roof Panel; Cracked Lift gate Spoiler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SSM 51346 - 2022-2023 Expedition - Liftgate Spoiler Contacting Roof In Freezing Temperatures - Released February 07, 2023

Some 2022-2023 Expedition vehicles may exhibit the liftgate spoiler contacting the roof during freezing temperatures when ice is present. Engineering is currently investigating this concern. To correct the condition, repair the spoiler and roof per Workshop Manual, Section 501-03/501-28. For claiming, use causal part 7844210.

SSM 51346 OASIS Broadcast Message - 02-07-2023.jpg

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Objectively, relative to the competion, you are correct; however, if you view today's objective numbers accross the industry in historical context, all companies, including Ford, continue to improve initial quality in agregate over time. Ford is plagued by escessive costs/incident versus quantity of unique mid to high mileage engineering related recall incidents - not an excuse, just a fact.

The point being, they should still have reasonably robust identification and containment capabilities for this type of relatively "rare" production or redesign escape. Furthermore, this is usually an easy thing to discover, track, troubleshoot, fix and prevent recurrance of. "Rare" meaning single, low volume, legacy, vehicle line affected over what seems to be an easily defined production time period. This is the type of thing that we used to solve in an afternoon; then we spent a few weeks following up on and finally firing or some other way abusing those responsible inside or outside of the company.

You make some valid points.

Initial quality may be improving - but the long term quality (or lack of it) and a massive number of safety recalls (more poor quality) will drive away customers.

giudi1md

Reaction score
SSM 51346 - 2022-2023 Expedition - Liftgate Spoiler Contacting Roof In Freezing Temperatures - Released February 07, 2023

Some 2022-2023 Expedition vehicles may exhibit the liftgate spoiler contacting the roof during freezing temperatures when ice is present. Engineering is currently investigating this concern. To correct the condition, repair the spoiler and roof per Workshop Manual, Section 501-03/501-28. For claiming, use causal part 7844210.

View attachment 76622

Can confirm. Ford contacted me yesterday letting me know they have reversed the initial decision to deny the claim and will be covering the damage 100% under warranty. My vehicle is at the dealership in the body shop now and they confirmed the same.

Last edited:

Infra246

Reaction score
Nice to see something is being done about it. Telling people to go through insurance was disgusting, I hope those who did have some recourse to get this sorted out between their insurance and Ford so as to not effect their premiums. If not a lawyer should be consulted.

rccola

Reaction score

View attachment 76622
thanks to guid1md for pushing the issue and getting this taken care of

Bonk

Reaction score
Can confirm. Ford contacted me yesterday letting me know they have reversed the initial decision to deny the claim and will be covering the damage 100% under warranty. My vehicle is at the dealership in the body shop now and they confirmed the same.
Farkin sweet!

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 76622
Thank you Hazbeen for the timely discovery of and posting of this Special Service Message!

Thank you to the Ford KTP PVT member who is obviously reading this forum. The timing and brevity of this SSM belies your monitoring of this forum. I'll reiterate my belief that this forum (and others) would be good repeat locations when issuing high profile SSM's/TSB's. Just saying.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You make some valid points.

Initial quality may be improving - but the long term quality (or lack of it) and a massive number of safety recalls (more poor quality) will drive away customers.
In the industry venacular, you're talking about long term durability, for which there is remarkably little reliable and repeatable statistical data. Seriously, there is more marketing in that space than statistics and always has been. That being said, perception is reality. The more people who read these forums and generate negative perceptions of VCT, Wastegates, and 10 speeds, the more customers that will be lost, whether the overall durability of the products (whatever exactly that is) is inferior, competitivee with, or superior to, the competition, statistically.

..kind of like long term side effects of ANY kind of medication, disease, vaccines, etc. Rigorous understanding of the long term performance of anything in our world is remarkably poor.

Philosophically, having been in the business for many years, I believe that real durability improvements across the industry have been sporadic over the decades. One graphic example is that of all Aluminum bodies. It used to be that powertrains north of the Ohio River always lasted longer than bodies....That is no longer the case, something that long term, 2nd and 3rd owners of 8 year old Aluminum F150's are just starting to appreciate.

But, I digress, the good news is that someone at Ford is actively analyzing the subject quality issue of this thread.

mwalden

Reaction score
I got a call from the one dealership that said that Ford rejected the claim at the beginning of January. They said that if you had paid to have the damage repaired that they would try to submit the cost to Ford to try to reimburse you.