285/45r22 on sand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toronado13

Reaction score
So I recently traded in my 07 Explorer on a 17 Expedition. I've been taking my Explorer to the Outer Banks for the past few years and driving on the beach no problem.

My Expedition came with some 285/45r22's and I'm having some reservations about driving these lower profile tires on the sand. Before I just bag it and play it safe, I wanted to see if anyone else had the 22 inch wheels and good luck on the sand by chance...

Thanks!

Kev

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I recently traded in my 07 Explorer on a 17 Expedition. I've been taking my Explorer to the Outer Banks for the past few years and driving on the beach no problem.

My Expedition came with some 285/45r22's and I'm having some reservations about driving these lower profile tires on the sand. Before I just bag it and play it safe, I wanted to see if anyone else had the 22 inch wheels and good luck on the sand by chance...

Thanks!

Kev
Something you will just have to try yourself.......too many variables.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I understand that the problem with low profile tires on the sand is the inability to "air down" significantly. If the sand you are driving on is very soft and you had to run your explorer tires at 12 pounds, the 22's might not like being that flat and may break the beads. Try them without airing down or with slightly reduced pressure and you may be fine.

I have a 2010 Explorer with factory 20 inch wheels and low profile tires that are fine on Long Island beaches which are very much like the Outer Banks, soft and hard sand and some deep tracks. I bring them down to about 25 lbs.

Bring a jack.