2fer today. Cigarette lighter loose and trim paintes.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi gang.
The cigarette lighter in my ‘08 is loose. Does anyone know how to tighten that thing up? We have to keep those electronic devises charged ya know.

Also I have the black pleather dash with silver-metallic trim on each end and other places. Does anyone know where I can get spray paint to match that? I have some good sized scratches that I think will take maoremthan touch up.

Thanks!

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think you can tighten those. They just kind of snap into place. I have replaced all except the passenger side front one with dedicated USB sockets. It's easy and so much better

if you have the factory ashtray up front that one can be a slight pain, but it's still relatively easy . After I did it i started wondering why I even have an ashtray so I took it out and replaced it with the blank plate. I like that better

I use a socket with a built in voltmeter up front, and ones without everywhere else. If you are just plugging in USB cables, this is the way to go IMO. I left the passenger footwell one as a lighter socket just in case I ever need to plug in an old school plug

If you decide to do something like I did keep in mind that the rear cargo area lighter is on a different fuse than all the other lighters. These are all hot all the time. You can swap them out and terminate or solder the ends without pulling the fuses, but it's easier if you pull them ahead of time

Last edited:
OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s a great idea Jim. I’ve seen those but I never connected the dots. If the lighter snaps in, will it snap out too? I would like to try that. And thanks for the link. Is the voltage displayed the voltage going to the adapter, or the alternator output voltage?

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the voltage is the same either way, huh?

It actually goes down a little when you plug something in, even your phone.

on a related note: A lot of people worry about these on a constant hot outlet, as the guage is lit all the time, but it uses so little power it doesn't matter. my truck is not a daily driver and sits weeks at a time. this thing has never drained the battery

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, lighter is easy to take out. if you are talking about the dash one you just need to pop up the plastic "tray" in the bottom of the tray in front of it, and use a 7mm socket to remove one bolt. then open your console lid, grab the area between the cup holders and console and pull it up. unplug the harness and push the lighter out. then take a razor knife and cut off the two little tabs in the hole. Pop the new outlet in, tighten the nut that came with it, then cut off the factory lighter plugs and either solder or crimp on a couple female connectors. It's really easy

OP
OP
Robert Smith

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds easy. I may attempt it. Thanks! I’m not sure about some of the instructions but I’m hoping they will become self evident as I work.

jim midd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds easy. I may attempt it. Thanks! I’m not sure about some of the instructions but I’m hoping they will become self evident as I work.

It really is easy. the rubber mat in the picture is what you need to pull up to get to the only screw ( comes out with 7mm socket)