Trailer turn lamp faults but no trailer connected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRMan

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expedition Platinum 4x4 with the type 3 instrument cluster. I am getting a trailer turn lamp fault and I don't have a trailer connected to the vehicle. I haven't owned this very long so not much history with the vehicle. When I was looking at the vehicle before the purchased I noticed that the 4 pin connector for the trailer hook up was corroded and I had the dealer replace it as part of the purchase agreement. I drove it before purchasing it and after purchasing and the fault wasn't showing up. Once the 4 pin connector was replaced (about 3 weeks after purchase) the fault showed up. The old 4 pin connector didn't have led lights on it (to the best of my memory) but the new 4 pin connector does have led lights on the plug. Do you think these led lights are messing with the system to cause the faults? See images below.Dash Default Trailer Light Warning - Zoomed In.jpg4 Wire Trailer Plug - New.jpg

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not impressed by the quality of that installation.
For the LED's to be a factor they would have to be grounded. It's possible that the plug has some internal connections to make that happen. If any of the LED's light up without a trailer connected then it's absolutely a suspect. Turn on your flashers and parking lights and see if anything lights up. If so, there is an internal circuit and likely your culprit.
Have you connected a trailer to it to see what happens?

OP
OP
JRMan

JRMan

Reaction score
I wasn't happy with what their work either and I didn't want them messing with again after seeing their work. I did put on a turn signal and the corresponding led did light up. I am going to replace the plug with one that doesn't have led's on it and replace the bracket that they cut. It might be a little bit before I can do it, but I will let you know the outcome. I haven't had a chance to connect my trailer yet. Thanks for the help.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet those LEDs are the culprit. Also, that bracket wasn't cut, that's what it looks like. The 4pin receptacle clips into that.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cheap auto parts store part, I'm assuming the dealership wasn't a Ford Franchise? I'd go to your favorite Ford parts house/website and put a factory plug back on it. It'll push up into that bracket and look cleaner as well as not give you a fault code.

OP
OP
JRMan

JRMan

Reaction score
Well dang, I assumed they had cut the bracket. You know what they say about assuming... I had already ordered a bracket and plug (without LED's) replacements for it, so I installed both. I actually left the factory bracket in place and installed the aftermarket bracket to the rear of it. This pushed the bracket back just a little bit and makes it a little easier to get to but is still behind the bumper. With the new plug installed it isn't giving me anymore faults. Yahoo. Thanks for everyone's help.Trailer Plug Repair 0.jpgTrailer Plug Repair 2.jpg