3.5L EcoBoost Engine Lube

What type engine oil do you use?

• Petroleum

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Synthetic

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you use petroleum or synthetic oil?

I'm having my cam phasers and timing chain replaced on my 2018 and had meant to ask the Ford dealership which is the best option. With oil changes being quite important on the EcoBoost engines (often cited as a source of problem on cam phasers/timing chain), it seems synthetic would be a waste? But I have also heard that it protects these components better during the lubricants service period. If that were the case, given the significant issue Ford is having with this part of the engine, one would think Ford would revise the recommended baseline lubricant.
Is there any possible reason Ford can't find engineers who can solve the can phaser and timing issues it's been going on since 2004 that's a little ridiculous don't you think I like the expedition but there so problem ridden the Chevy Tahoe is pretty much the same thing and they have none of these issue's

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you use petroleum or synthetic oil?

I'm having my cam phasers and timing chain replaced on my 2018 and had meant to ask the Ford dealership which is the best option. With oil changes being quite important on the EcoBoost engines (often cited as a source of problem on cam phasers/timing chain), it seems synthetic would be a waste? But I have also heard that it protects these components better during the lubricants service period. If that were the case, given the significant issue Ford is having with this part of the engine, one would think Ford would revise the recommended baseline lubricant.
The best option would be buy a Chevy Tahoe

OP
OP
Bill Schell

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best option would be buy a Chevy Tahoe

Yeah. I have no doubt a good many Gen4 (and earlier) Expedition and F150 owners have had that same thought. If I experience a repeat of this problem following the repair (and God willing within the 8 year/125000 mile), I'll move on from Ford. An otherwise gorgeous, great riding, and versatile rig... but not worth a shit if it's not reliable.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford requirement is xo-5w20-qsp is syn blend. Not sure what petroleum is, oil wise. I personally believe this engine should use full synthetic and get changed every 3,500mi. The oil breakdown from turbo heat and fuel dilution, is probably why there is so many problems. Going between 5000-7500mi on bad oil, would explain it. Using improper/cheap oil filters is another reason. Ford doesn't want to anger/lose potential owners, who will balk at spending $65 for a dealer synthetic oil change every 3,500mi. People spend $70K on the new vehicle, but cheap out on a $19.99 oil change.

THIS !!

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford requirement is xo-5w20-qsp is syn blend. Not sure what petroleum is, oil wise. I personally believe this engine should use full synthetic and get changed every 3,500mi. The oil breakdown from turbo heat and fuel dilution, is probably why there is so many problems. Going between 5000-7500mi on bad oil, would explain it. Using improper/cheap oil filters is another reason. Ford doesn't want to anger/lose potential owners, who will balk at spending $65 for a dealer synthetic oil change every 3,500mi. People spend $70K on the new vehicle, but cheap out on a $19.99 oil change.

Part of the problem is that instead of admitting that more frequent changes may be needed, Ford includes an oil life monitor that is supposed to provide the customer with guidance on oil changes. Interestingly enough, there are numerous instances of oil coming back in sound condition with over 7K miles on Bobistheoilguy.com. I currently have my oil (Magnatec 5W-30) out for testing and will share the results when it comes back. I didn't plan to keep this truck past warranty expiration at 125,000 miles because of the potentially expensive maintenance. But I've seen anecdotal evidence that the platform can be reliable past 150,000 with frequent oil changes. As this is our tow vehicle, reliability is paramount.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Is there any possible reason Ford can't find engineers who can solve the can phaser and timing issues it's been going on since 2004 that's a little ridiculous don't you think I like the expedition but there so problem ridden the Chevy Tahoe is pretty much the same thing and they have none of these issue's
GM has almost the same issues on the eco tech engines. There is 2 issues VVT and cam phasers. It works off oil pressure and needs religious maintenance. It's also a bad design. It gives low speed fuel economy, with high end power. VVT variable valve timing, high pressure fuel pump with direct injection and turbo, are what makes up the 'eco boost'. 3 systems with sketchy reliability.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excellent thread. I've owned a couple of VVT Fords and been pretty unhappy, even with frequent (less than 5K miles) oil changes. I actually embarked on a full phaser and timing chain swap on my 2005 F150 a few years ago and had the problem (passenger-side phaser noise) come back within 8K miles. I've only got 1500 miles on my '19 Expy, but I'm pretty sure this thread has convinced me to stick with Motocraft oil / filters and change every 4000-4500 miles. At least half of my miles will be towing a 6200# travel trailer (with HD towing package) ...so I wanna make this bugger last for a long time. Don't want to buy another rig for at least 10 years.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I advocate more frequent oil changes, I always thought the cam phaser issue was due to poor material selection since the piece that keeps breaking is plastic. Either way, I have personally seen similar, stupid issues with GM and Toyota powerplants, too: Timing chain tensioners that wore by 50k miles and cause a timing chain jump (and valve collision), carbon build due to variable cylinder operation (v4 / V8 mode) causing ring separation, cams that have shaved themselves to a new profile due to VVT.

I think the issue is that when you continue to push the envelope of RPM and load on engine parts bad things can happen if the tolerances and assembly aren't perfect.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recall reading in the manual that semi-synthetic is recommended in the US and full synthetic in Mexico. The key is regular changes based on the type of load the engine has to work under. It’s better to err on the side of caution and change earlier than required than later.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recall reading in the manual that semi-synthetic is recommended in the US and full synthetic in Mexico. The key is regular changes based on the type of load the engine has to work under. It’s better to err on the side of caution and change earlier than required than later.

That's an interesting twist. Here in the low, Sonoran desert of Arizona, I would think maybe we'd want to follow similar recommendations for the weather in Mexico. Now I'm uncertain again. I read a ton of forums on "bobistheoilguy" stating the "best oil" for these 3.5L EBs is the Rotella (either in 10w-30 or 10w-40, depending on your predominant climate).

Scratchin' my head again, but have close to 3000 miles to decide on my first OC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205