3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xRichx

Reaction score
Dropped ours off yesterday for 1 visual leak and the service agent called me later to say they were replacing all 4. 3 showed leaks and she said it’s a matter of time before the 4th one starts leaking. Hoping these replacements hold up longer.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped ours off yesterday for 1 visual leak and the service agent called me later to say they were replacing all 4. 3 showed leaks and she said it’s a matter of time before the 4th one starts leaking. Hoping these replacements hold up longer.

If you replaced them with Motorcraft, they won't hold up. I had multiple replacements fail in ~30K miles before giving up and getting Bilsteins.

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any chance the dealer would install the bilsteins instead of the replacement OEM if you provide them? Just wouldn't have warranty applicable to that part going forward.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What color is the shock fluid? Or is it clear like mineral oil?
Yes, it is pretty clear. When I first saw mine leaking I thought it was water that had dripped off but when the puddle was still there the next day I realized it wasn't water. Its pretty clear and thin.

mactlc

Reaction score
I did not realize so many people had this problem with the factory shocks, I changed my 2015 Epy for the second time last summer with bilsteins 5100, so far the ride quality is good and no leaking. hopefully when I tow this summer I don't have any more blown shocks.

aziz

Reaction score
my 2019 limited 10,000k start leaking from last night, tomorrow i will go to dealer my old explorer 2011 until 2019 never leaked from anything.:893Chainsaw-Smilie-
IMG_20200619_153218.jpg

Oscar1

Reaction score
I have 6,000 miles on mine started seeing a leak . Called dealer had to make a appointment for them to look at leak , take pictures & contact ford for a OK to order & replace struts . Then have to make another appointment to have them replaced if Ford thinks they are leaking enough .

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My front passenger was replaced due to visible leak and clunk. The driver’s side is seeping but the dealer refused to replace it saying that Ford only allows them to replace shocks when they have significant leak.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My front passenger was replaced due to visible leak and clunk. The driver’s side is seeping but the dealer refused to replace it saying that Ford only allows them to replace shocks when they have significant leak.

How much of a leak is there now? If it is dripping on the ground, then that is definitely too much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker