3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not too much leak but you can definitely see wetness. It also clunked in cold weather. As the weather got warm I dont hear It anymore.

MJ2018

Reaction score
I took my 2018 Expedition in for a tire rotation and they noticed both front shocks/struts were leaking fluid. I didn't see the fluid was noticeable in my driveway. I called the dealer to order the new parts over the phone and they did. Took the dealer almost a week to get the parts in, then when I showed up to Ford, they said they needed to inspect there was actually an issue before just replacing it on my word. What a joke.. I had less than 12K miles on my expedition, although I did take it on some moderate to hard trails in the desert. So I just chalked it up to me overheating them and caused them to fail. After reading all these threads I see it's more than just a couple SUV's. Love the expedition as a whole and the replacement struts have been holding up fine, but I also haven't pushed the vehicle since. Next time they fail I will definitely be upgrading the suspension system. Any recommendations is much appreciated!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took my 2018 Expedition in for a tire rotation and they noticed both front shocks/struts were leaking fluid. I didn't see the fluid was noticeable in my driveway. I called the dealer to order the new parts over the phone and they did. Took the dealer almost a week to get the parts in, then when I showed up to Ford, they said they needed to inspect there was actually an issue before just replacing it on my word. What a joke.. I had less than 12K miles on my expedition, although I did take it on some moderate to hard trails in the desert. So I just chalked it up to me overheating them and caused them to fail. After reading all these threads I see it's more than just a couple SUV's. Love the expedition as a whole and the replacement struts have been holding up fine, but I also haven't pushed the vehicle since. Next time they fail I will definitely be upgrading the suspension system. Any recommendations is much appreciated!

Pretty sure they will leak again. I don't think they have changed the shocks at all. I just went ahead and went with Bilstein's and personally prefer the ride to the stock ones, a little more firm and controlled.

kpat

Reaction score
So just replaced all 4 tires that were cupped at 29k! Ugh had it aligned and tires changed and balanced. Still feels a bit bumpy. Could this all be due to bad shocks/struts???? 2018 Exp

Last edited:

WrekEE

Reaction score
I have a Limited with CCD and was told by dealer the strut is leading.. found out because the Quick Lane screwed up and didn't tighten the oil filter 2x.. and I eventually took it into the service station to check. Of course they found out that Quick Lane screwed up.... but also told me the front left strut was blown.

Am i the only one here with CCD that failed?

JennyD

Reaction score
What a joke.. I had less than 12K miles on my expedition, although I did take it on some moderate to hard trails in the desert. So I just chalked it up to me overheating them and caused them to fail. After reading all these threads I see it's more than just a couple SUV's.
Doubt it was your fun on the trails... I just went to the dealership for an oil change at 10k and 3 of the 4 are leaking. No off-road and pretty light driving. Now waiting for parts, although after reading this thread I guess I should hope they aren't back-ordered.

Once it's out of warranty I think I'll take the others' suggestion and put Bilstein 5100s on if/when they go again.

Lee Dame

Reaction score
I just had all 4 shocks replaced (and a front left wheel bearing) at 8,500 miles. Mine is a 2018 Limited with the towing package. Planning to upgrade to the Bilstein shocks once I'm out of warranty. Not very happy after having spent this much money on a vehicle and having these sort of problems at such low mileage. This is the first Ford I've owned in many years and it may be my last.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had all 4 shocks replaced (and a front left wheel bearing) at 8,500 miles. Mine is a 2018 Limited with the towing package. Planning to upgrade to the Bilstein shocks once I'm out of warranty. Not very happy after having spent this much money on a vehicle and having these sort of problems at such low mileage. This is the first Ford I've owned in many years and it may be my last.

The shocks are garbage. I went to Bilsteins in the rear after numerous replacements and have had no issues since. My front Ford shocks are still holding up. I have Bilsteins for the fronts in the box though. I also had issues with one of my wheel hub assemblies up front and replaced it with an SKF.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Are you satisfied with the on-road ride quality of the Bilsteins?

The shocks are garbage. I went to Bilsteins in the rear after numerous replacements and have had no issues since. My front Ford shocks are still holding up. I have Bilsteins for the fronts in the box though. I also had issues with one of my wheel hub assemblies up front and replaced it with an SKF.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you satisfied with the on-road ride quality of the Bilsteins?

Yeah, I'm good with them (Bilstein 4600s). I don't find them to be much stiffer than stock. It might be worth noting that I absolutely detest a buoyant ride (a la Chevy Tahoe / Suburban) though.