4th Gen Expy FORScan Modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rcompart

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was originally at 80°F. I’ve been playing around with the temps over the past few weeks and found 90°F to be a very pleasing temp. Warm enough that it feels almost therapeutic but not too warm that my hands start sweating after driving for a while.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was originally at 80°F. I’ve been playing around with the temps over the past few weeks and found 90°F to be a very pleasing temp. Warm enough that it feels almost therapeutic but not too warm that my hands start sweating after driving for a while.

Just be aware...setting the temp higher may shorten the life of the heating element.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I don’t think I’m gonna change mine, it doesn’t get super cold here so I think 80° is good enough for me.

OP
OP
rcompart

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be aware...setting the temp higher may shorten the life of the heating element.
The element has a very broad amount of current it must carry based on the wire cross-section, the total overall length, the number of parallel paths, the voltage being applied and the amount of heat lost to the surrounding materials. Assuming the only variable that changes is temperature, it would still have to be designed to carry the maximum allowable current when its -40°F to bring it up to 79° regardless of whether it’s set point is 80° or 90°. The temperature of the steering wheel element is probably 20-30° hotter than the set point upon starting to warm the wheel and gradually tapers off as it approaches the set point. Taking all that into account, the number of heating cycles and the environmental operating conditions of the steering wheel will have a far greater and more direct impact on its longevity than the amount of current carried through the heating element.

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The element has a very broad amount of current it must carry based on the wire cross-section, the total overall length, the number of parallel paths, the voltage being applied and the amount of heat lost to the surrounding materials. Assuming the only variable that changes is temperature, it would still have to be designed to carry the maximum allowable current when its -40°F to bring it up to 79° regardless of whether it’s set point is 80° or 90°. The temperature of the steering wheel element is probably 20-30° hotter than the set point upon starting to warm the wheel and gradually tapers off as it approaches the set point. Taking all that into account, the number of heating cycles and the environmental operating conditions of the steering wheel will have a far greater and more direct impact on its longevity than the amount of current carried through the heating element.

Ok...can you summarize what you’re trying to say :)

OP
OP
rcompart

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said you're wrong. [emoji6]
Not what I said. Just that some people may be apprehensive to increase the temperature to something more desirable because they think it will result in a considerably shorter life span. And in 17LimitedExpy’s defense, he said it may shorten its life, not will shorten its life.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello 17LimitedExpy
You have in your document in section "NotPossible" Reverse Tilt Mirrors.
This works on my 2018 Expedition Platinum (without any changes)

Try this for use the Reverse Tilt Mirror:

1) Select the mirror you want to tilt by pressing the mirror button
2) Put your vehicle into reverse (R) and let the mirror automatically tilt until it stops
3) Return to drive (D) or park (P). The mirror go back to his normal position

Note: You can press the mirror button to deactivate Reverse Tilt at any Time

Try this for Reverse Tilt Mirror Calibration (instructions from PlatinumOwner from F150 Forum):

1) Switch the ignition on
2) Press the memory button
3) Select the mirror you want to adjust
4) Put your vehicle into reverse (R) and let the mirror automatically tilt until it stops
5) When the mirror is in its tilted position and is no longer moving, adjust it with the controls
6) Hold the memory button for 5 seconds to save the setting
7) Press the mirror button and return to park (P)
8) Hold memory button again

Can you please add this to your document. Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------
APCO_P25

I tried this the tonight and could not get it to work or calibrate. I followed the directions, my mirrors never tilted down. Has anyone else confirmed this works?

Thanks,