4th Gen Maintenance Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stsysar

Reaction score
Regarding the rear diff fluid (I have the eLSD rear axle), I changed the fluid at 17.5k miles while chasing a faint gear whine that happens at 75 mph in hot weather. The fluid looked really alarming with what looked brown/green paint mixed with silver paint. I sent an oil sample to get analyzed, see the results below. The comment from the lab read as follows: "It's not unusual to find a little visible metal from break-in, and as long as it's not excessive and clears out on its own, small amounts aren't necessarily a sign of trouble. This looks like it's the differential's first oil change, and we expect to find some extra wear metal on a microscopic level in those cases as well. Chrome, iron, and copper show harmless wear-in material related to break-in. That should clear out further with more oil changes, and then we'll expect metals to look more like Ford differential averages (which are based on ~36,500 miles)."

I will do my next diff fluid change in April and will send another sample to get analyzed. Although the comment from the lab states that it is OK to have these metals, I was happy that they were out of my rear end haha.

View attachment 71741
Where do you send your samples for analysis? Never done it before.

TheVI

Reaction score
Does anyone use any oil / fluid additives like Lucas Synthetic to trans or oil?