5.4 2v Sluggish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so i hooked up a Smoke Machine to the truck. Egr has minimal leak so does the grommet on the brake booster.

I will be replacing the Intake Manifold, EGR, Idle Control Valve, and PCV Hose, Brake Booster grommet.

My BARO Reading is 81.. i was reading it had to be around 150? or is that unrelated.

I removed one O2 Sensor to see if the Cat was clogged but it still ran like shit.

idle is fine, and non running pulling the throttle body will accelerate to high rpm no problem. Shifting is good if i keep under 2k RPM

Codes are: P0174 P0171 P1151

Any word of advice? Thanks.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're replacing the intake manifold ? Which O2 sensor did you remove? 'Cause the P1151 code is the driver's side upstream O2 sensor not sending signals to the PCM. Or how old are the front O2 sensors anyway ? Have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail ? There's a schrader valve on the passenger side of the fuel rail to get a fuel pressure reading if you have a fuel pressure gauge. Should be 45-55 psi . Low fuel pressure from the fuel pump will cause poor performance and throw those P0171, P0174 codes too.

You'll need the little adapter that comes with the Actron fuel pressure gauge to fit on the Ford fitting ....
https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP781...&pf_rd_p=ef7568e4-34e8-56a9-aae6-1e96bc88439b

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you haven't already, don't forget to check air filter and make sure your MAF sensor is clean

OP
OP
JuniorExp03EB

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're replacing the intake manifold ? Which O2 sensor did you remove? 'Cause the P1151 code is the driver's side upstream O2 sensor not sending signals to the PCM. Or how old are the front O2 sensors anyway ? Have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail ? There's a schrader valve on the passenger side of the fuel rail to get a fuel pressure reading if you have a fuel pressure gauge. Should be 45-55 psi . Low fuel pressure from the fuel pump will cause poor performance and throw those P0171, P0174 codes too.

You'll need the little adapter that comes with the Actron fuel pressure gauge to fit on the Ford fitting ....
https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP781...&pf_rd_p=ef7568e4-34e8-56a9-aae6-1e96bc88439b
I removed the drivers side upfront O2 sensor.

i dont have a fuel pressure gauge. but ill like to look into it. i didnt get a chance a to replace the injectors. but ill like to do it anyways, since people i known before that own 5.4 end up replacing the oem ones after a while.

130k original miles. i believe everything has been intact besides the heater core valve bypass.

that why i want to replace fuel filter too.

i have not yet placed order for intake manifold. i would also need to buy a quality torque wrench. yeah idk what to do, took it to other shops and they get headscratchers....not to many experienced in ford. i think i will end up going to BSG automotive in yorkville and ubering back. i think his 2 weeks lead time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JuniorExp03EB

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the ford dealerships near me got bad reviews. so thats a no go. unless someone recommend a ford dealer near northwest suburbs of chicagoland area. illinois.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My advice would be to save your money. Stop just throwing parts at it, and do the fuel pressure test. The stock fuel injectors are fine, they'll out live the body of the Expy.

OP
OP
JuniorExp03EB

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My advice would be to save your money. Stop just throwing parts at it, and do the fuel pressure test. The stock fuel injectors are fine, they'll out live the body of the Expy.
ok thanks.

OP
OP
JuniorExp03EB

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i whent to dealership and they suggested i get the newer maf sensor. AFLS176RM. going to try that before injectors

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can rent the torque wrench, and the fuel pressure gauge from the larger parts stores, IE Auto zone, O'Reilly's. They're actually no charge after you return them. I agree with the others, check fuel pressure, and check injectors for both operation, you'll hear a click at each one. Try spraying out the Maf sensor first before replacing. A lot of times their just dirty and lazy responding. Also do a back pressure test at catalytic converters to be sure no clogs.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JuniorExp03EB

JuniorExp03EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can rent the torque wrench, and the fuel pressure gauge from the larger parts stores, IE Auto zone, O'Reilly's. They're actually no charge after you return them. I agree with the others, check fuel pressure, and check injectors for both operation, you'll hear a click at each one. Try spraying out the Maf sensor first before replacing. A lot of times their just dirty and lazy responding. Also do a back pressure test at catalytic converters to be sure no clogs.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
i whent to various local shop and they dont have the back pressure. maybe firestone or dealership could do that?

will try cleaning and let it air out and repeat.

i didnt know they were rentable sweet.