5.4 3v vct solenoid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is an example of a new 5.4 when this video was taken..... skip to 4:30 that’s what they sound like.

Heavily modded = not new

Also not sure if it's really even a raptor, looks kinda like a pimped XLT

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heavily modded = not new

Also not sure if it's really even a raptor, looks kinda like a pimped XLT

It’s a 2010 MY truck and the video was taken in 2011, the truck has no miles on it. It is most certainly a raptor look up a 2010 MY raptor lol. I will say he has the ratings wrong the raptor 5.4L Triton puts out 320 Horsepower and 390 Ft lbs of torque.

OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok but how come only when passengers side unplugged it throws a code but drivers side does not when unplugged?

OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can some please at a warm idle put thielleir hand both vct solenoids and just see if you can feel it pulsing.. but that not throwing a code worries me. Cause when unplugged that whole bank wont get timing change so it should throw a code when it doesnt see a solenoid

OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the solenoid swapped today fpr a brand new fomoco and it still makes the noise and doesnt pulse like the other one.

curtis-bob

Reaction score
Well its late so I can't now.. But at warm idle the Phazers should be in idle lock so I wouldn't think there should be any pulsing.. I will check on mine because I haven't ever checked..

Do you have a stethoscope? You can pinpoint the sound there.. Cheep tool.

Another thing if you spend like $20 on an obd blue tooth or wifi plug.. You can install Forscan and actually watch your Phazers position to see what it's doing.

OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well yesterday i di a test light to see if i could see the flashing. Well i figured multimeter was not fast enough to see pulse. It not a pulse its a constant 13v is what the test light told me. So that means my vct is fine... now i need to figure out what is causing that pulsing on the passenger side then. Ill swap out the dormain vct with the updated motorcraft later and will look around with cover off.

OP
OP
R

rollavvti06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Little update.. i had a miss fire that wouldnt go away no matter what i did. New coils,maf. List goes on and on... plugs looked good as are new with the motor only 2500 on it. I couldnt get a check light at all. So i got no where.

Well i decided to beat the piss out of it till it threw a code and it did... cylinder 3 misfire. So since ive put new coil in and no change it had 5o be the brand new plug..

The plug looked great but it would make the motor miss. Must bea super small hair line crack. Well after new plug the miss went away and so did the tick i had. So th whole time the spark plug caused all this.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Little update.. i had a miss fire that wouldnt go away no matter what i did. New coils,maf. List goes on and on... plugs looked good as are new with the motor only 2500 on it. I couldnt get a check light at all. So i got no where.

Well i decided to beat the piss out of it till it threw a code and it did... cylinder 3 misfire. So since ive put new coil in and no change it had 5o be the brand new plug..

The plug looked great but it would make the motor miss. Must bea super small hair line crack. Well after new plug the miss went away and so did the tick i had. So th whole time the spark plug caused all this.

Shit....

Guess that's why they tell you to move everything from another cylinder, not just the coil but the plug and the injector too to see if and when it follows