5.4 clattering at startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtis-bob

Reaction score
I never did 10-30 but makes since. I always run Delvac threw mine to keep the detergents cleaning out my engine Never know how well the previous owners maintained that thing.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The dealer says new engine time and its under warranty, what is the issue? This timing chain issue, is not limited to the 5.4l. The 3.5l and other Ford OHV VVT have the same, long chain set up. People criticize GM and its "outdated" V8s. They don't have to worry about slack chains. Proper, religious maintenance, oil and filter, are needed. These motors are better with thin, lower weight 5w20/30 oils.

OP
OP
C

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem is they didn't know diagnosing of the problem none I have a leak in my air conditioning system they didn't even do a vacuum test on it they filled it with cans of freon and died and told me to bring it back and charge me $106 and then they want me to pay to have it diagnosed a second time they didn't look at my engine they didn't have it long enough to do any kind of diagnosing on it they didn't run pressure test on it they did literally nothing

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Follow-up report

Alright I would figure I would go ahead and send a quick update on to my dilemma so June the 5th I took my car back to where I bought it CarMax exactly 3 weeks 1 day later I get my Expedition back turns out it needed new timing chain guide plates The Works up there in the front so CarMax is about an hour and a half away from me I live out in the boonies in Southeast Texas so I drive it up to him expecting that they're going to have my car for a week maybe a week and a half when I get a call from the service adjuster saying that the warranty that I bought through CarMax was going to have to send an independent inspector to look at my car they had taken my car to the Ford dealership to let them do the engine work on it fordcares it down makes list of everything it needs to be replaced I'm told that Ford's going to be charging them around $7,000 I just thought they should just replace the incident at Point has discussed prior because extreme lot of money for the timing chain and some cam phasers in my opinion takes the inspector 3 days to get out there then Ford gets to do the work so 3 weeks and 1 day later I get my Expedition back driver all the way home seems fine I did notice that the engine fan was extremely noisy and I could smell radiator antifreeze I asked the service adjuster about it and he said it was just going to burn off so I drive it literally less than a half a mile the next day air conditioner stops working and the water temp Peg's out to the right side of the dial call him up please send a wrecker an hour and a half one way I have to ride back with them to San Antonio they call me the next day turns out Ford had forgot to tighten the upper radiator hose so I go get my car the next day in the 2015 Ford Expedition they loaned me which I really liked had the twin-turbocharged V6 in it but it was two wheel drive I drive my car home next day I get in it to go to my niece's house for 4th of July drive out of my neighborhood all kinds of things start popping up on my Dash then I get to little ranch my car won't go out of second gear tired of driving to and from San Antonio I did call them and complain but before they came and got my car again I decided I would open up the engine compartment and look around turns out they didn't tighten the battery down so the battery was just going dead I'm just putting this out there because I'm discouraged normally I would do all the work on my own car but I decided oh yeah let's go ahead and get a warranty and bumper to bumper got the premium one it just seems that everybody wants to sell you something but nobody wants to back it up you just been a pain in the butt but I will gladly say that my car starts up without making that clicking sound runs okay gas mileage is down I'm hoping that's because they had the battery out of it so long that it reset the fuel Maps if not I might have to take it back CarMax

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your story sounds like when you bring a vehicle to a little shop, not a dealership. Simple things like forgetting to tighten hose clamps, and battery hold downs is just unforgivable. We had novice kids working at Sears and the old Montgomery Wards that didn't do that. It's hard to fathom the tech didn't recheck parts that were pulled. When I wrenched years back, I used to go around motor or whatever and say out loud tight, tight, to parts I had removed, tightened, ones I was Iffy about, I rechecked, it only took another 5 minutes or so. Sorry that dealer is so bad, me I'd report them to consumers affairs! Somebody needs to slam them, and get their act together.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem is it was the Ford dealership and did the work CarMax send it to go to the Ford dealer

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then go after car max. This crap will keep going on unless agency's like consumer affairs, or Ford field reps hear about this. Remember your the boss not them. Threaten to take it to court. Nothing scares auto shops like talk of them losing money! Tell them your lawyers ready to go ahead unless they fix your vehicle, and fix it now!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the Saga continued after my last post and getting my vehicle back from CarMax the air conditioner still did not work I got tired of driving the hundred miles to the nearest CarMax since I live out in the boonies and Texas service manager and me talked she found me a very reputable shop in a very close town to me he had my truck for over a week the diagnosing it was horrible cuz sometimes it would work and sometimes it would they ended up calling Ford to no avail 900 dollars later paid for buy CarMax over the phone credit card payment it seems to be working okay at the end of all this I hope CarMax in the warranty company have put in over $10,000 on my 2007 Ford Expedition it was a pain in my butt but man am I glad I paid for that extended warranty and to carmax's service managers credit she took care of it as well truck runs great but it did before I am a little concerned that I was getting 16 and a half miles to the gallon when I took it to him and after Ford did their part of it with the engine I'm only getting about 13.2 miles to the gallon I am wondering if they change the program in the computer or something

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
So the Saga continued after my last post and getting my vehicle back from CarMax the air conditioner still did not work I got tired of driving the hundred miles to the nearest CarMax since I live out in the boonies and Texas service manager and me talked she found me a very reputable shop in a very close town to me he had my truck for over a week the diagnosing it was horrible cuz sometimes it would work and sometimes it would they ended up calling Ford to no avail 900 dollars later paid for buy CarMax over the phone credit card payment it seems to be working okay at the end of all this I hope CarMax in the warranty company have put in over $10,000 on my 2007 Ford Expedition it was a pain in my butt but man am I glad I paid for that extended warranty and to carmax's service managers credit she took care of it as well truck runs great but it did before I am a little concerned that I was getting 16 and a half miles to the gallon when I took it to him and after Ford did their part of it with the engine I'm only getting about 13.2 miles to the gallon I am wondering if they change the program in the computer or something

Is your . and , key broke?

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
Hope it's all worked out! Regarding your mileage, there may have been some extended time idling the truck while in the shop. That will negatively impact the average MPG. Reset the mileage and drive it like you do, it will relearn your average MPG.