5.4L 3V and 3.5 Twin Turbo Counterfeit Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool so just to straighten out my statements that may seem confusing when read one after another—>If you are an 07-08 owner look for USA or Mexico on the box, if you own an 09-14 or a 15-17 look for Japan on the box for countries of origin. Now the better deep fakes may just copy the packaging and falsely claim the country origin too but from what I’ve seen most make several mistakes on copying the package. It is possible this is one more mistake they are prone to making that we can catch.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool so just to straighten out my statements that may seem confusing when read one after another—>If you are an 07-08 owner look for USA or Mexico on the box, if you own an 09-14 or a 15-17 look for Japan on the box for countries of origin. Now the better deep fakes may just copy the packaging and falsely claim the country origin too but from what I’ve seen most make several small mistakes on copying the package. It is possible this is one more mistake they are prone to making that we can catch.
They also make tiny mistakes on the items, they are kind of like fingerprints and hard to duplicate.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like the newer 5.4 and 3.5 plugs are made by NGK so I’m guessing they will say Japan but we shall see! We await your box!

Always check the box. Many NGKs that were always made in Japan are now made somewhere else. Saw it on the last one I bought when the ones I was removing wee stamped Japan on the plug socket part.
I think some new ones are made in India or Mexico.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope. Not a dog. Just using similar tactics I use for training. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Sorry. No insult meant by it. Just calling it as I see it.

You came in to a thread that had already gone off the rails and made it worse.

You made a comment about dangerous situations caused by Motors? Then mention transmissions...that aren’t even in the Expedition generation where this Post is.

All because somebody spouted off some drivel about China and stealing intellectual property...which by the way wasn’t completely wrong(There are WHOLE cars in China that are copies of other manufacturers). Is it just a China thing? Nope. Do the fake plugs and the right plugs both probably come from China, most likely yes.

I won’t be replying to your comments in this thread anymore unless they are actually Spark Plug related.

Bottom line...and I say it again.

Put the phone down and step away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you Hulkster. All of that and I came out unscathed and wasn't even mentioned. Whew!! A close one though.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Hmmm... Just did my plugs a few weeks ago. What a *****! Five out six boots were stuck to the plugs and wouldn't easily pop out. I ended up sliding a screw driver between the plug and the boot in a few spots and twisting. The first one came out in pieces. What a PITA... Replaced all six boots and lubed them up with a little dielectric grease.

I installed the SP580 from the link below. I did notice that the electrode seemed a little soft when I gapped them to .028". Could have been imagining it and it might have been nothing though. They are still performing well after 200 miles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084RRTYR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Hmmm... Just did my plugs a few weeks ago. What a *****! Five out six boots were stuck to the plugs and wouldn't easily pop out. I ended up sliding a screw driver between the plug and the boot in a few spots and twisting. The first one came out in pieces. What a PITA... Replaced all six boots and lubed them up with a little dielectric grease.

I installed the SP580 from the link below. I did notice that the electrode seemed a little soft when I gapped them to .028". Could have been imagining it and it might have been nothing though. They are still performing well after 200 miles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084RRTYR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I checked out Makuloco's video. Looks like mine were legit thankfully. You never know though. Might be a good fake... I'm not going to sweat it unless I notice an issue.

IMG_20200311_133332_01.jpg IMG_20200311_133356_01.jpg

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are running an EcoBoost, Run SP542’s. You can buy them in Sets of Six as a Ford Performance part. ZFGRacing also has them in stock. These are the one range cooler plugs, and I recommend them even for stock EB’s. My idle is smoother. Generally runs better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are These the new replacement of recommended plugs? I can't find the sp542, and I'm due to replace the plugs soon. NGK LTR7BHX (95605) Spark Plug​

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Are These the new replacement of recommended plugs? I can't find the sp542, and I'm due to replace the plugs soon. NGK LTR7BHX (95605) Spark Plug​

Yes. That is what I recommend. You cannot find the Ford Performance plugs anymore, and if you do, they are the new ones, and you need to stay away.

If you are tuned, gap them down a bit to .028, vs the out of the box .032.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. That is what I recommend. You cannot find the Ford Performance plugs anymore, and if you do, they are the new ones, and you need to stay away.

If you are tuned, gap them down a bit to .028, vs the out of the box .032.
Thanks for reply, I know you probably get asked the same thing a hundred times. Your wisdom and help here is truly appreciated. I swapped them out last Sat. A buddy of mine got them for me for $55.00 he works at Napa. Seamed like a deal compared to what I seen elsewhere. Most of the local auto parts, didn't even stock them.