5.4l engine stuck at 300 rpm!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope you told them to clean the MAF and check again before replacing any parts. That bug on the MAF will certainly screw your O2 numbers.

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also how did a Bug get past the Air Filter ???? Have them check the air intake system. Should also change the air filter.

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
I hope you told them to clean the MAF and check again before replacing any parts. That bug on the MAF will certainly screw your O2 numbers.
Got the truck back already..they did as you said, no need for any parts, just did KAM reset, test drive, and retest afterwards.

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
Also how did a Bug get past the Air Filter ???? Have them check the air intake system. Should also change the air filter.
Good question. Just drove from NJ to Alaska, stopped for full scheduled service in Minot ND on the way up. Got down to Houston, did full scheduled service on July 11. Presumable air filter was checked both times. We did drive through some intense bug clouds. So it's ironic that it choked on a bug in Texas. :)

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The codes were P2195 and P2197 and then they found a bug stuck in the mass air flow sensor. My Expedition choked on a bug?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

O2 sensor codes are rarely the fault of the actual sensor and you certainly didn't have 2 fails at once. The bug in the MAF just sounds like pure bulls**t. Honestly, I can't even fathom how that would be possible. So with all that air flowing through the intake the bug manages to steer itself out its path and into the sensor? This is a prime example of why I don't visit dealerships once the warranty is up.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
ManUp is speaking sense. The whole story is screwy. And no O2 sensor or mass air sensor's going to lock the throttle at 300 RPM.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ManUp is speaking sense. The whole story is screwy. And no O2 sensor or mass air sensor's going to lock the throttle at 300 RPM.
Well, run a test. Remove your MAF, cover it with some masking tape, re-install and fire it up. The results would be empirical.

WISIV

Reaction score
My F150 & my wife's Expedition both have K&N cleanable and reoilable air filters. Can't use too much oil on the filters or it will dirty up the map sensor. As a general rule of thumb i clean our MAF sensors periodically doesn't take rocket science, autozone sells MAF sensor cleaner (only use MAF cleaner on your MAF). IT will save you some money if you will pull out your MAF sensor every so often and spray it let it dry and reinstall. The first time I cleaned the MAF sensor in the expedition it was covered with fine dust that made it through the ford paper filter. Sprayed it and things worked like new and mileage and driveability improved. I live in Texas and have NEVER had a bug on the MAF sensor they all get stuck in the air filter along with oak leaves and pine straw. Good luck. MAF cleaner at AZ $8.99 new MAF sensor at ford around $200.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually sounds logical to me. You can open the throttle but if the MAF doesn't see air flow, the injectors aren't gonna flow more fuel. It will just bog and die.

A similar thing, normal idle speed though, and a rough idle on my crown vic. Stepping on the gas just made it bog. A new MAF fixed it (fortunately my 06 expedition at that time used the same MAF. I swapped it to verify before buying).

I presume the bug was really screwing up the air flow thru the MAF.