6-Speed manual tansmission conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Wow...you have some great fabricating skills! Nice metal lathe too. I know who to call when I need some machine work done!

Put me first in line for some custom Bolt-on long tube headers. :)

OP
OP
B

Bolt-on

Reaction score
Hey, thanks! I always figure "bolt on" means you need a mill, a lathe, and a tig welder to get it to fit! I don't see any reason a real header maker couldn't do an Expedition version. I can't wait to see if my fuel mileage is better.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking good. How do you like it so far? You live in Lander? I worked up at Boysen this summer with the game and fish. I'll have to meet up with you sometime when I'm in the area to see this beast in action!

OP
OP
B

Bolt-on

Reaction score
Hey, stop by some time!

I found out the key wouldn't come out of the switch once I took the column shifter off. I got around to fixing that yesterday. I had to take the steering wheel off to remove the plastic covers. There was a teeny spring loaded plastic thingy that I safety wired back.

IMG_0476.jpg

I also covered the "P R N D 2 1" on the instrument cluster with a piece of electrical tape while I was in there. Then I made a cover for the stalk hole.
IMG_0478.jpg

Still need to get a custom tune to get rid of the error codes for the missing transmission. Also, the electric transfer case shifter won't do 4L. I wonder if that can be tuned out. The owners manual says there are three conditions needed for the 4L shift: vehicle stopped, brake on, and transmission in neutral. I need to find how the neutral signal gets to the PCM, or maybe it can be tuned out.

spolcyn

Reaction score
I installed a ZF5 in my '01 expe. Used the pedals out of an f-150. Bought the clutch slave/master all together for the F-250. The pushrod for the master was too long so I found one for the F-150 and it worked well. The output splines were the same, so the factory t-case bolted right up. The whole assembly was 4" longer so I took the driveshafts to a shop and had the rear shortened and the front re-tubed. I modified the exhaust myself, but this could have been done at an exhaust shop cheaply. I ran into the same problem on the speedo, so I have been running without a speedo for over a year now. 172,000 miles forever on this ride. I just use the tachometer for speed reference. Also I installed a 2" body lift to allow everything to fit nicely without all of the other mods referred to in this post. No machining required, nearly all off shelf parts, and a 5-speed expedition that now has a tranny that will hold up to hard towing.

OP
OP
B

Bolt-on

Reaction score
Way to go! I wonder how different it is on the earlier Expeditions. Did you need to re-do the transmission cross member? I have used a cheap gps for a speedo before, like a ten year old Garmin GPS III. Putting a sender in the tranny wasn't that bad. I think a piece of nylon without internal splines could be tapped on and some bolts screwed to the outside would work for senders. A set screw would probably work to hold it on too. I thought about doing a body lift but I only had to bump the floor about an inch for a 12" section.

spolcyn

Reaction score
All I had to do on the x-member was make a plate because it was only a couple of inches off. I would like to do something with ECM though. I think it is detuning the engine because it is confused and in limp mode. I read that I could use one from an f250 but it had to be the same series of computer as the original. I have no clue how to tell what series is in it now. I could get it reprogrammed but I don't know where to get that done and need the truck because it is my daily driver.

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DP tuner on the re-flashing, SOuth Carolina? Google...

Yes on the series, and DP will guide you there. our digits will be like 123 456. if the 123 is there on the superduty, you are fine. if the 123 isn't won't work. and if the 456 is much different, you may lose AC, etc.

What I took out of it, was a similar series will work for a limp mode ECM to avoid down time while he reflashes. Quoted under $100. Boneyards sell used ECM's 'round here for $100. so essentially $200 for your needs handled.

Series sticker will be on front.