6R75 Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I R and R'd auto trans all day every day when I was a kid. It's nice to have an auto trans jack but I have muscled them out. It really takes 2 guys but watch out the converter doesn't slip out and whack you in the face. The truck has to be up high enough to clear the trans and the jack if you can rent one. My record for dropping a cast iron Powerglide was 18 minutes after it was drained.....lol

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t posted, it’s looking like this just isn’t possible at the moment. I got everything out (cross member, support, exhaust, T-Case, driveshafts) but this job just isn’t possible because of the starter. I’ve spent more time on the starter alone (more than everything else combined). Starter is what beat me (I WAS SO CLOSE LOL). Going to leave it alone today in case a light bulb goes off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched some YT and got the starter out so the job continues. Had to concoct a new tool lol.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t posted, it’s looking like this just isn’t possible. We got everything out (cross member, support, exhaust, T-Case, driveshafts) but this job just isn’t possible because of the starter. We’ve spent about 3 hours on the starter alone (more than everything else combined) and it just does not seem possible on the 5.4L. My buddy at Ford says the engine often has to be removed from the body to replace the starter on the Expedition depending on model year. Sucks but hey we tried. Sorry for the fail guys but it’s time to button it all back up and send her to the shop (accept defeat). Beyond the starter everything else was very doable exhaust and trans mount/ cross member included. Starter is what beat me (I WAS SO CLOSE LOL). Going to leave it alone today in case a light bulb goes off.
That top bolt is hard to get to but not if you remove the solenoid from the starter first....not that hard.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trans is out, didn’t feel like continuing more today. Converter install and re-assembly tomorrow.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also would like to have a little talk with the tech at the shop that did my exhaust manifolds. Pass side motor mount not tightened, one bolt missing and the other at bottom of threads. Pass side of engine has been floating for the last 8 months or so. Haven’t noticed it driving but holy cow people just don’t give two sh*ts.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also would like to have a little talk with the tech at the shop that did my exhaust manifolds. Pass side motor mount not tightened, one bolt missing and the other at bottom of threads. Pass side of engine has been floating for the last 8 months or so. Haven’t noticed it driving but holy cow people just don’t give two sh*ts.
I had my ball joints done one time when I didn't have a place to work on it and they wanted to charge me $25 extra to put some little pieces in the brakes that wasn't needed, didn't give me a receipt, and I discovered a year later they left the 2 top bolts out of the wheel hub. (4 big bolts go there). I rarely have anyone work on my vehicles but every time they do they try to burn me somehow.....every time!

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what I’ll share so far is you will need at least 2 swivels to get the top bolt on the starter and 2 medium extensions as well as one shorty. Also you must drop the exhaust system behind manifolds. The Cats come down with the assembly all the way to the muffler. Many will have to cut bolts, mine are only a few months old so it wasn’t too bad yet. Still took a lot of torque to loosen. The trans itself is self explanatory, there is the main connector in the back, twist left and pull out. There is a sensor and all the extra jazz on the drivers side....unbolt and remove it all. Trans cooler lines after being removed can be pulled forward and out of the way, they have flexible rubber hoses up front so you can move them a bit. Bell housing bolts are self explanatory and really weren’t difficult. The cross member and trans mount is again self explanatory when you get to it loosen and remove. I’ll put together a better summary with hopefully some pics later on. I’m brushing over a lot right now.