6R75 Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I swapped out a mechanical hard drive for a solid state drive in my HP Z820 workstation yesterday. Just saying. :angels25:

(Nice job on the Expedition!)

I'm convinced guys modifying computers and gaming PCs with liquid cooling and enough blinking LEDs fans to cause an epileptic seizure is due to the near impossibility of doing things like repairing late model cars and trucks. Not to mention the tool requirements.

-- Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She’s all fixed, seeing that tach drop to 1,750 at 65 and no wrench feels better than sex. Nightmare over. Used a rebuilt OEM torque converter just an FYI.

C8122C8A-5494-41DE-9243-8C752EFCCFB9.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also found out my slang where I always call it the “6R” transmission for short is correct. On the side of the case it’s stamped “Ford 6R” not 6R75.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6R75 was used for two model years 2007 and 2008 Expeditions. The Torque Converters I saw when shopping said they were universal to the 6R60,6R75, and 6R80 Transmissions. I still specified my exact model year and vehicle to be safe, as should everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if you are working on your 07-08 6R75 don’t forget your ATF! Only use the following:
1311D259-EAB8-416D-B0E9-7BA7C00FBD80.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So that’s a wrap on the thread, it almost feels like it needs a small lift LOL. It was up on jacks so long I’ve been used to it standing taller....anyway it’s nice to have it back up under its own power in the midst of all this...

72585AD0-E709-4C10-958D-7106C88582DE.jpeg
8EF0D1D8-6E21-4152-93A4-C210A25609FF.jpeg

Pictured here is the new torque converter being installed, here I have it over the first two clicks.....my final tip I’ll share is that to get it over the pump is fairy difficult. Just rotate and push to get it over the first two, the last one you have to take off the pressure and rotate until you feel it mesh with the pump, I pulled out ever so slightly, when she lines up push it in and it’ll sit in there.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Strange looking converter front, for many years you had to spin the converter until the holes lined up and bolt directly to front tabs on converter itself from the engine side.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this video and found tons of 2007 and 2008 owners complaining of TC shudders and disengagement concerns. This all stems back to the 6R75 Torque Converter folks.....the problem is the friction modifier in the ATF wears down over time and your lockup starts to rapidly shudder......first step is do a fluid swap and it will often solve it. Next step is replace the torque converter like I did. Dr. Trans Shudder fix works for many too. I’m finding out my TC was worn and they masked the issue when I bought it but that’s water under the bridge, eventually if let go the shudder will wear out your lock up mechanism on the TC and replacement is your only option.

One big key here: I changed all the Mercon SP to new fluid and a new filter. I also highly recommend anyone who goes this far to drop out the valve body and replace your pump bridge seal that is prone to cracking on the 6R75 & 6R80.....everything replaced in the Torque Converter circuit on this trans including TCC solenoid and let me tell you-new truck!!! That bridge seal bleeds off pressure if cracked and it’s cheap. I saw many who didn’t change the fluid over had the issue return over time. If you get into this dig deeper and pull the pan. Verify that seal and be sure to change out your ATF to protect the new converter. If the pump bridge seal is cracked you are bleeding off pressure to your brand new converter.

*NOTE: 6R75 & 6R80 both share this failure prone bridge seal*