$800 98 Expedition XLT 4X4 budget build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

Reaction score
I already posted this on Member's Rides, but I wanted to go ahead and start a build thread on my 98 Expy XLT 4X4. The story starts when my mother in law borrowed her neighbor's Expy and it broke down in my yard. I let it sit there for a couple weeks then the owner said he'd take $800 for it, without hesitation, I paid him and was the proud owner of a new to us Expy.

IMG_20120302_131553.jpg

Well it wouldn't go in park and the shifter was loose, so naturally I figured the bolts under the column were loose, and they were. I tightend them up and went and test drove it and discovered that it was stuck in low range. Of course my suspect was the T Case motor...so I unbolted the motor and manually switched it to 2 HI. Test drive #2- it started off perfect, then all of a sudden I had nothing, like I was in neutral, I managed to get it back in 4 LO and limp back home.
Next idea was to change the T Case fluid, I pulled the plug and about a teaspoon of black fluid dripped out. Then I realized the T Case was junk, and that's where I'm at now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
frito-bandito

frito-bandito

Reaction score
So I start cleaning the severely neglected Expy out, three 30 gallon bags of trash later, I'm left with some carpet stains and a ridiculous amount of M&Ms and Skittles on the floor. I cleaned every interior panel untill I got it looking good, Tough Stuff is amazing!

OP
OP
frito-bandito

frito-bandito

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of removing the old T Case (first time working on a 4WD). So anways, here's a couple of pics as she sits now....

1330812978005.jpg

My slow progress so far, yes I'm embarrassed!!
1330813028973.jpg

Quite a few miles on the clock....
1330813003415.jpg

OP
OP
frito-bandito

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Anyways, as I'm on a budget, I scored four gently used 285's for $75!!!! Definitely an upgrade over the existing bald tires!!!

1330813049594.jpg

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
idk if thats an upgrade... those bfgs are pretty bald. but yes better then what you have on there now. haha congrats on that steel. not too bad for $800. get a junkyard t-case same year or a 97 and youll be all set. just bolts right up. reason why i say 97 or 98 is because of the out put shaft. on the 99+ they dont have a VSS gear. you wont be able to drive with out it. it tells how fast you are going and the computer how fast the truck is going. so a 97 or 98 t-case will work. just an fyi. other than that take some pics of everything you can. sounds like you have a funn project ahead of you!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
So I start cleaning the severely neglected Expy out, three 30 gallon bags of trash later, I'm left with some carpet stains and a ridiculous amount of M&Ms and Skittles on the floor. I cleaned every interior panel untill I got it looking good, Tough Stuff is amazing!

LOL..... Sounds like fun. Interesting story and thread. :)

Good luck with your restoration?!

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I crushed a perfect one from our 1998 6 months ago... Hindsight....

Congrats on the score, my kinda rig at my kinda pricepoint.

Curious to see how the 285's look on there, as I almost went there when I re-shod the wife's...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360