87 vs 89 vs 93 octane - my findings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has to be. Couldn't hook up and pull that time without AWD. Tires would just spin.

It is! The new Explorer is a RWD biased platform with AWD. It just goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
That's nuts. Is this an AWD?
The $90K Jeep Trackhawk(fastest SUV on the planet) has the supercharged 707hp "Hellcat' engine, AWD with launch control. It does 0-60 in 3.4 sec. A tuned stock Explorer is a .6 sec behind. I love to see that.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh? That is exactly what Overdrive’s are designed for!

Yes, under certain circumstances lugging in too high an overdrive can decrease MPG, but on flat ground OD increases MPG.

IF OD’s did not help with MPG, why does the 10Spd have additional? Even on the 5.0...

Moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's the final drive on the hiway that counts for the claims of 20 MPG from above, nothing else. 3 speed to 10 speed overdrives etc. have NOTHING to do with it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The $90K Jeep Trackhawk(fastest SUV on the planet) has the supercharged 707hp "Hellcat' engine, AWD with launch control. It does 0-60 in 3.4 sec. A tuned stock Explorer is a .6 sec behind. I love to see that.

My Explorer seats 7, is 30K cheaper, gets better MPG, and is only .45 slower. Only thing, E50, and a tune. Happy with my choice.

It seems you always default to the HEMI powered vehicles in these discussions. Why do you own a Ford?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My Explorer seats 7, is 30K cheaper, gets better MPG, and is only .45 slower. Only thing, E50, and a tune. Happy with my choice.

It seems you always default to the HEMI powered vehicles in these discussions. Why do you own a Ford?
Please provide proof of being .4 slower. We all would love to see it(so would Ford). You probably would have the fastest Ford SUV in the world.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Huh? Soon See? What is going to change on his 13 year old Expedition that he will soon see?
We are talking about MPG's on the hiway , right? He is touting his 6 speeds and overdrives to achieve his 20 mpg but if he had a brain he would know that has nothing to do with it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's the final drive on the hiway that counts for the claims of 20 MPG from above, nothing else. 3 speed to 10 speed overdrives etc. have NOTHING to do with it.

I think I see what you are trying to say...but you are missing the point COMPLETELY.

My 20, and my 17 before that, and @JExpedition07's 07 before that were all 3.73 Rears. Yes Final matters, but if the Rear doesn't change and lower ratio gears are added additionally(Other wise known as OverDrives, anything lower than a 1:1 is an Overdrive). They were added to increase MPG when cruising on Flat terrain at highway speeds, and keep RPM's down. You keep RPM's down under light load, and decrease fuel use.

Just for everybody's Education:

2007 and 2017 6Spd:
Transmission gear ratio (1st) 4.17
Transmission gear ratio (2nd) 2.34
Transmission gear ratio (3rd) 1.54
Transmission gear ratio (4th) 1.14
Transmission gear ratio (5th) .87
Transmission gear ratio (6th) .69

2020 10 Spd:
Transmission gear ratio (1st) 4.70
Transmission gear ratio (2nd) 2.99
Transmission gear ratio (3rd) 2.15