87 vs 89 vs 93 octane - my findings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Extended Length models have 3.73s. 6R has two overdrive gears and lockup clutch function in all forward gears 2-6. Saves gas, improves performance. But yeah, it’s just lame-o, dumb, and I’m a douche.

My HD tow EL 4x2 is geared 3.31. It's in the tow guide and confirmed using the axle code.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get 20 MPG all the time with my 5.4 on the highway cruising. It’s got 2 overdrive gears in a 6 speed dude.
They all have "overdrive", that means nothing, plus 6 speed doesn't affect highway MPGs either. You might have the best gears in that truck in final drive for MPGs but taller gears don't automatically mean better MPGs. One step higher ratio than that could diminish your gas mileage. It's the final drive that counts on the hiway so 6 speeds and 2 OD's has nothing to do with anything here.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My HD tow EL 4x2 is geared 3.31. It's in the tow guide and confirmed using the axle code.

The 5.4 was never mated with 3.31s in the EL models. 3.73 was the only option 07-14 but 3.31 became available on 2WD models for the EcoBoost. 4WD EL EcoBoosts are also all 3.73.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all have "overdrive", that means nothing, plus 6 speed doesn't affect highway MPGs either. You might have the best gears in that truck in final drive for MPGs but taller gears don't automatically mean better MPGs. One step higher ratio than that could diminish your gas mileage. It's the final drive that counts on the hiway so 6 speeds and 2 OD's has nothing to do with anything here.

You are clueless lol

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Huh? That is exactly what Overdrive’s are designed for!

Yes, under certain circumstances lugging in too high an overdrive can decrease MPG, but on flat ground OD increases MPG.

IF OD’s did not help with MPG, why does the 10Spd have additional? Even on the 5.0...

Moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro