97 4x4 Expedition/suspension help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kountrykeith

Reaction score
So I am a new member. New owner. First Ford. I towed it home yesterday by strap behind my brothers truck, I was in the Exp and she was not a fan of any steering correction. Seemed like every move of the upside-down steering wheel (yep, going straight, wheel inverted) started a noticeable pull in that direction that required a lighter counter in the opposite direction followed by another etc. until it got happy for a moment. Then when it was in need of a correction, same thing. Also there was an audible tire squall that would happen randomly. Slight but noticeable, intermittent and related to the above mentioned adjustments. The Exp was dead under tow so I manhandled the steering. Don't think not having power steering was the cause unless I'm missing something. When I got it home there did seem to be a camber/caster issue with the tires. Not certain about toe in/out. I am sure I am going to have fun with this but wondering if anyone has a diagram or visual aid in identifying the front end components and what I should look for? Mechanically I have experience, decent aptitude and great troubleshooting skills. Just don't have alot of front end knowledge. Any thing you can add or point toward will be greatly appreciated. Thank you folks in Advance. And F×&k 2020. Happy New Year everyone!

20201231_121450.jpg

20201231_121445.jpg

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your becoming a proud owner of an Expedition! Well, maybe not quite proud yet :).

Sounds like your alignment may be WAY out of wack.

I remember when I replaced my tie rods... I thought I had counted number of turns of the knuckle when I removed them and counted the same when I installed the new ones. I obviously didn't do it right because the right tire was pointing straight ahead and the left was turned to the left. I adjusted the left to be straight. Unfortunately it was the right side I should have adjusted because when I was done the steering wheel was halfway turned to one side. I had to get the wheels aligned anyways so asked that the steering wheel be returned to center.

As for a diagram, there are lots of general diagrams out there to describe the various components. There are quite a few youtube videos out there showing people repair/rebuild their front suspensions. A good way to get familiar with how things are put together.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
kountrykeith

kountrykeith

Reaction score
Thanks Brother. I appreciate the info. I have already seen some videos on YouTube. I have decided to follow a road map on this vehicle. That map is simple. Start by making the engine work. Go through making it drivable. Eventually arrive at a functioning, roadworthy, mechanically sound vehicle despite her looks. So.....

That means I am going to troubleshoot the fuel issue first. Cranks but won't fire. Well, with angel piss it does. The man I purchased it from was under the impression it was the pump. I put in a new battery. And climbed under while brother turned on. No sound from the pump. Opening the cap to see if I could remove the filler neck easily, I was taken by fear at the smell of the fuel. Bad, been sitting awhile. Alas I will drop the tank later today and crack it open. Go from there. I figure the alignment will come once I can drive it under its own power. Once I make it go vroom I am taking it to a car wash nearby to get rid of the 10000 spiderweb and accompanying leaves/brush underneath the thing.

You get the drift I am sure. Thank you again for the info and for taking the time to reply. It means more than you know. At least I am not that guy. The guy who posts a thread and NOBODY responds to it at all. So thanks for not allowing me to suffer that fate. Take care and see you around here.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Why not check the fuel pump relay first? Or put a gauge on the fuel rail and check for sure that it's the fuel?

You can check for fuel pressure with a gauge and be 100% certain it's not running. Then you'll know if the pump's working or not. You should find a wiring diagram and check that the pump is getting power. The computer runs the pump for five seconds when you turn the key on. Your problem may not be the pump at all. I believe there's a relay and fuse in that circuit.

Dropping the tank is a lot of work and often if the trouble is bad gas, you can use the pump to empty the tank. Unless it was sitting for more than a year, it should at least start with bad gas.

You can also spray some ether, starting fluid, into the throttle body and it will start if the problem's truly fuel related.

Good luck with this. Research and check before you lift a tool.

Let us know what you find in the front end. That should be a good one.

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your project. These are great trucks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
kountrykeith

kountrykeith

Reaction score
I hear your arguments and know that you are correct. I did spray ether down the throttle body and got it to start momentarily. That and the fact that when turning the key on, no sound whatsoever comes from the tank area lead me to believe the pump is dead. The fuel smelling rotten and the amount of spiderwebs underneath the vehicle supports the idea its been sitting for years. My brother seems to think the owner told him 6 years. I was under the impression it sat for 6 months. My brother interacted with him online, I spoke to him in person. So I think I believed what I wanted and he didn't correct me. Either way it hasn't been operated in years. The relay test would be the way of being certain before dropping it, you are correct. Don't know the procedure for that so I will have to research. I am probably going to have to drop it anyway but by verifying the relay thats one less thing to do afterward. Thank you for the advice and I will keep you updated. Oh I forgot one other tell about the years of non operation, see attached photos.

20210101_160420.jpg

20210101_160436.jpg

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the previous owner had bounced off road , possibly causing the front steering problem, he may also have tripped the crash fuel shutoff switch which is in the passenger footwell in some models.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kountrykeith

kountrykeith

Reaction score
Good thought. My Brother who came to town to help me tow it home thought if that and its not that. I dropped the tank( 2 days, time constraints and lack of proper tools ) and got it out from under last night. Just pulled the pump out and it is the problem. I verified this by checking for voltage at the plug that connects the pump. I will be updating the original post with pics if you are intrested

OP
OP
kountrykeith

kountrykeith

Reaction score
***UPDATE***
I have found the issue and it is the pump. I had some troubles getting the tank down. I decided to drop it as fuel smelled rotten and I just needed to know what the condition of the fuel system was in total. So without verifying relay was good and I had voltage to the tank I undertook the removal. So..

I was left a bag of tools by my Brother and I just assumed he left me everything. I get under there and assess what I need. Go the bag and no 3/8 sockets and no swivel. So a trip to Harbor Freight and I'm back to loosening bolts. Gets dark and push til next day. Next day get out there late and undo 3 of 5 bolts leave 2 barely hanging. Pull filler neck hose and one other line that is right there as well. Dark again. I come out next day and get all the way to the bigger of the 2 tubes dropping into the tank. The ones with the special quick release tool. Everything is disconnected but that and I fought it for over 2 hours before I got it disconnected. For me the problem was one of angles and position with which to attempt. Anyway it is free at 8 pm and out from under half hour later. I drug the tank onto my front porch and retired until this morning. Just unscrewed the cap and pulled the pump. The pics should show that the tower was covered with a salt crystalline looking yellow and green corrosion. Also the rubber boot/cover at the bottom has turned into a black sludge goo. Not all of it but over half this cover was intact the other half had become shapeless and is deteriorating. I am satisfied the interior of the tank is in good shape. So I will buy a whole pump unit and install after I drain the tank and clean it.

20210105_162826.jpg

20210105_175045.jpg

20210106_134216.jpg

20210106_134257.jpg

20210106_134316.jpg