97 Expy 5.4L Extract ATF via Dipstick Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tedallen

Reaction score
Has anyone ever successfully extracted automatic transmission fluid with a pump through the dipstick/fill tube on a 1997 with E40D transmission? If so, I would appreciate any details you can share as to the type/size of tubing that was used and any tricks to get it inserted.

Just to see if I could get a tube down to the fluid, I stuck a 6" length section of 5/32" ID rubber tubing onto the end of the dipstick (a very tight fit) and attempted to insert the dipstick back all the way into the tube. I could not get it to go in to the point that the end of the tube ever made contact with the transmission fluid.

I know this technique works on some vehicles.

Thanks,

Ted

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was in the army we did this to HMMWV's to take oil samples and its a painfully slow process plus the tube has a good chance to hang up / break off on sharp edges inside of the trans so im sure its possible but not a good idea.