98 4x4 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Lol I will bet getting new rims and tires. Unfortunately the stock ones were bent badly do i took these off the parts truck. It was the resistor pick I replaced that with the one from my parts truck this morning. Thanks for the advice on that and the transmission heads up. We intend to basically rebuild this truck to be our family vehicle for a long time so i will definitely add transmission to the list. I'm at witts end with my turn signal hazard lights issue. Checked wiring nothing looks broken or pinched. The work when they want too. Figure i will change it the multifunction switch next week and see if that fixes things. New rotors calipers and breaks next week and replacing all my brake lines soon with the stainless steel ones i ordered. Lot of work but i don't like doing things twice

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Ok I'm at a loss at my new hiccup. A few months ago i replaced the transfer case shift motor and I was able to hear it changing from 2wd to 4 awd to 2h to 2L. Now that i finally get the front driveshaft on after fighting that stupid thing now I only have 2wd and 4 awd lights on the dash no 4hi no 4 lo . It shows 4awd when I am in any 4WD setting? I have checked my vacuum lins all appear to be in good condition. I have not had a chance to do a voltage test on the actuators. To me its just very strange that I could hear it engaging at the xfer case after the shift motor install, and now a few months later nothing at all. In addition I discovered the lever on the front axle that should engage also is not moving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Ok by the sound of it I think my 4wd issue is resolved. I have a lessor issue where my indicator on the dash is slightly off on the gear it is actually in. There is a small white clip broken under the dash connected to the indicator. Reached my hand under and adjusted it while in Neutral and guess what. The clunks indicating the gear change is back.. That indicator being off was causing the issue

OP
OP
T

Travistyson1

Reaction score
Ok knocking things out left and right but everytime I do I find something else. The joys of not buying new. So No I am looking for a wiring diagram for the tail lights, rear blinkers etc. So ac motor was the resistors thats fixed. 4wd was the shift cable being slightly off so I would not allow the truck to engage. Now I fixed my blinker not working issue, for now. it seems that either the Idiot that hooked up the radio tapped into that fuse for the blinkers and its very loose or ran a wire that is consequently also powering the radio as some sort of bypass. But upon getting my flashers and turn signals working I discover the pass side turn still doesnt work, not the bulb and the drivers side brake and running light not working. They have a red wire jumpered from the drivers side blinker? It wasnt working so I ripped that ghetto rig out and fixed the harness but still not getting the drivers rear brake/running light nor the pass rear blinkers. Anyone have a wiring diagram so I can trace back to find the issue, or run new wires to resolve?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you read most electrical problem posts on this forum, nine out of ten times, it's usually some yahoo tapped into something for power. These vehicles are very sensative as to any thing piggybacked to acquire a quick 12 volts. It's more work, but aftermarket stereo, or any accessory is always better to hook the hot lead directly to the battery. The switchable 12volt signal can be tapped off something existing, be even that's chancy, as you have discovered. Sounds like you've picked up a challenge of a vehicle. Now you know why the last guy sold it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk