98 expedition aftermarket radio making a whining/fuzzy noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zack Johnson

Reaction score
So im in the process of putting a double din radio in my expedition i ordered everything from crutchfield so i could keep the factory amps working. After i installed the raido i have a horrible whining/fuzzy noise. And it doesnt matter if the car is running or not so i know its not the alternator. I have tried multiple different grounding spots to rule out grounding loop but hasnt seemed to help. Have any of you guys ran into this problem?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have the factory Mach Stereo? Or just the premium? It's possible you need a special harness adapter. Call Crutchfield, their by far the best people to deal with troubleshooting a problem. Now you know your vehicle has what is known as a din and a half size head unit. To install the bigger double din, your going to have to do some carving of dash. Couple of things you can check first. Keep the ground wires short, and hooked up to a solid clean ground spot. If using Rca cables to go to amps, keep them away from 12 volt power leads. Try moving balance and fader to all speakers, to isolate if it's maybe just one or 2 speakers. Same goes for separate amps. Disconnect each amp, to see if noise goes away. They make noise filters if all above fails. You can rule out any ignition or alternator as it does this without motor. Does it make the noise with radio, CD, or any input? Report back your progress.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

Zack Johnson

Reaction score
I have the mach system and bought the harness from crutchfield so i can keep the factory amps. Been dealing with them on the issue already and they think they sent me a bad interface adapter so there sending a new one. We will see if that fixes the problem