'98 Expediton Roof Leak Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eraser74

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Ford Expedition eddie bauer 4WD with a sliding moonroof & have a few leak issues. When it's raining, a small trickle of water appears by the passenger side grab handle. Sometimes just above the passenger seat is a wet spot or 2 on the headliner. Recently, during a rainstorm, I noticed a larger leak coming out the access panel on the headliner where the moonroof assembly is. I'm at a loss on where the leak is coming from as I've seen it happen on several locations. I read somewhere about drain holes by the moonroof being potentially clogged or disassembled. I have no clue where the drain holes are. Does anyone know what's causing these leaks & how to fix them?

jdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does this to.
I have to push the glass up to make sure it's closed or it will leak.
Try that and see if it go's up any higher.

OP
OP
E

Eraser74

Reaction score
It lines up fine when I open & close it. I did notice that when it's closed, I can push it down a little & then there's a gap. Is there a way to seal the window or maybe replace the rubber seal around the glass?

dpl200388

Reaction score
Make sure the drain tubes are clear. climb up and look into the channel you will see them. clean all debris from channel also.

OP
OP
E

Eraser74

Reaction score
Which way do I look into the window to find the drain tubes? Should the moonroof be slid open all the way, vented forward? I'm not sure which angle to look in for the drain tubes. Are the drain tubes small, on the sides, etc. ?

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did this, the track,also the gutter for water was cracked. I had to take my track out anf fix it. PIA but it fixed it.
You don't want to leave this go to long water down the drivers side will get into the fuses and electrics.
Check first to see if the water poured from the top with the window open , into the track goes down the drain plugs. They might be just plugged !

dpl200388

Reaction score
open all the way. you will see holes in the corners. these are the drain tubes. the rear are harder to see cuz of the track for the roof.

OP
OP
E

Eraser74

Reaction score
How do I clear them out? Should I squirt water, or maybe used compressed air or some other method?

jdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Compressed air should do it. Unless somebody has a good reason not to but I would try it.

OP
OP
E

Eraser74

Reaction score
Where are the rear drain tubes. Still having issues finding them. I did locate the front ones.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69