'99 passed down from the mom-in-law.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

101Expedition

Reaction score
Hey everybody!
Picked up my new to me 1999 Expedition (aka, Blueferd) a couple weeks ago from the bay area.
Sat in my mother-in-laws driveway for several years, only being used once a month at the most.
Purchased new in '99, one owner, 130k on the clock. She had it serviced by the calendar and not by the mile, at the dealership. Its got the big 5.4 with AWD. Third row seating, which is now sitting in the attic in the shop. Threw a free roof rack on. New tires on the front, and took off for 5 days fishing up at Hat Creek. Went exploring in the mountains above the Pit river. Did great. Needs a little more power in the hills while loaded down. Any suggestions for some simple power adders??

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got the higher hp motor already. 260 vs 235-240. 20 hp isn't a lot but theirs added torque also. Check all the obvious, tune up, too tight brakes, including e brake, other than that run computer codes to be sure everything is Kosher with the electrics/sensors. You stated you have the bigger 5.4 liter vs 4.6 litre. These vehicles are heavy 5,800 to 6,000 depending on model. Their fast for a fat girl dancing, just don't expect her to boogie down! Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look into the Gotts Mod. It's not a miracle, but might free up a little. Check the air filter while you're in there.

If it were me, I'd go through it: fuel filter, spark plugs, all new fluids, brakes. Turn tight circles and see if the A4WD is constantly engaged.

OP
OP
101Expedition

101Expedition

Reaction score
I looked it up. Pretty easy. Thanks again.
Tires do squeal a bit in tight turns. I would assume its working. This thing went in for regular services every other month, needed or not. She only drove it maybe once a month for the last ten or so years.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your throttle cable stretch. Take off the black intake tube to expose the throttle body. Have an assistant or use something to push the gas pedal down all the way. See if your throttle plate is fully open.

Mine wasn't. I added some zip ties to the cable at the top of the gas pedal to take up the slack.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Original Ford cable is still available from dealer. It's about $125.00. Checked into it as mine is starting to get stretched too. Tom where exactly did you put the ties on the inside pedal?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look at the top side of the pedal assy (under the dash), you’ll see where the cable attaches. I just pulled the slack out, used some zip ties in the space and called it good. When you look, it’ll be obvious. There may be a proper adjustment somewhere (maybe on the pedal assy).

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK thanks Tom.

OP
OP
101Expedition

101Expedition

Reaction score
Good tip, i'll check that. Thank you.
Also, saw something about the brown wire mod. What is the advantage of shutting off the AWD.
If i did I would just install a second switch in line and have AWD be an option. (I guess that's more of a question)