A/C not working - intermittant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dormammu

Reaction score
Anyone else having A/C issues in their 2018?

4 times in the last week I've gotten into the Expedition (Platinum, 4wd, shorty) and it blows only hot air. Every other time it blows cold air from the get go.

Fiddling with the system doesn't fix the problem. It resolves itself and starts blowing cold air in a very hot, very long 3-5 mins.

Anyone else?

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happened to me last week. It was 103 outside and the expy had been sitting in a lot for about 4 hours. Hasn’t happened since...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not immediate the evaporator has to cool off before it blows cold air.

OP
OP
D

Dormammu

Reaction score
It’s not immediate the evaporator has to cool off before it blows cold air.

Mmmm....is that just the case for the Ford Expedition in particular? Because we haven't experienced this in a single vehicle we've ever owned (2 Sequoias, Land Cruiser, QX80, 2 Grand Cherokees, a Highlander...3/4 ton trucks, 1/2 ton trucks...) Sure, it takes awhile to cool a hot vehicle, but what I'm talking about is blowing HOT air for 5 mins. I've owned lots of vehicles, none has ever done this.

Do I have a setting wrong on the climate control? A/C light is on. I can toggle max A/C and recirculate and it has no impact.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mmmm....is that just the case for the Ford Expedition in particular? Because we haven't experienced this in a single vehicle we've ever owned (2 Sequoias, Land Cruiser, QX80, 2 Grand Cherokees, a Highlander...3/4 ton trucks, 1/2 ton trucks...) Sure, it takes awhile to cool a hot vehicle, but what I'm talking about is blowing HOT air for 5 mins. I've owned lots of vehicles, none has ever done this.

Do I have a setting wrong on the climate control? A/C light is on. I can toggle max A/C and recirculate and it has no impact.

Anything involving refrigeration takes time, on any vehicle you have ever owned or will own. That perception is all in your head that anything has been immediate. Coming from someone who’s old man did refrigeration his whole life and went on many jobs I can tell you from first hand. My truck took about 5 minutes to blow full cold today it’s in the 90s out. In fact that’s with a brand new ford compressor, dryer, and drive belt just finished today. Not trying to be rude just saying it isn’t possible to cool immediately as the vehicle has to cool off the evaporator and dispel all that heat that is already in the vents to begin with.....a lot of load.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s 103 today and mine sat in direct sun for 4 hours at the zoo and blew cold air almost immediately upon startup, so I don’t think this is a “cool down” issue. I think another user on here had a similar issue and it took a visit to the dealer. But I’m sorry I don’t remember specifics or the outcome. I’ll look for that thread and update if I can find it.

Update: i think this is the thread I was thinking of, although if yours does eventually get up and running this may not be the same thing.
2018 Expedition platinum Max A/C problem
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...-platinum-Max-A-C-problem.35039/&share_type=t

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dormammu

Reaction score
Anything involving refrigeration takes time, on any vehicle you have ever owned or will own. That perception is all in your head that anything has been immediate. Coming from someone who’s old man did refrigeration his whole life and went on many jobs I can tell you from first hand. My truck took about 5 minutes to blow full cold today it’s in the 90s out. In fact that’s with a brand new ford compressor, dryer, and drive belt just finished today. Not trying to be rude just saying it isn’t possible to cool immediately as the vehicle has to cool off the evaporator and dispel all that heat that is already in the vents to begin with.....a lot of load.

Ok, let me see if I can clarify further...it DOES blow cool immediately and it does so most of the time. It blew cold today, as did the Tundra. Thus the title of my thread that the problem is intermittent and my original post saying it did it 4 times in the last week...because you see, I drove it more than 4 times in that week.

Maybe you misunderstood that I said it was blowing hot every time, which isn't the case.

OP
OP
D

Dormammu

Reaction score
It’s 103 today and mine sat in direct sun for 4 hours at the zoo and blew cold air almost immediately upon startup, so I don’t think this is a “cool down” issue. I think another user on here had a similar issue and it took a visit to the dealer. But I’m sorry I don’t remember specifics or the outcome. I’ll look for that thread and update if I can find it.

Update: i think this is the thread I was thinking of, although if yours does eventually get up and running this may not be the same thing.
2018 Expedition platinum Max A/C problem
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=20862&share_tid=35039&url=https://www.expeditionforum.com/index.php?threads/2018-Expedition-platinum-Max-A-C-problem.35039/&share_type=t

Thank you for this! It doesn't appear to be a widespread problem since not many here are experiencing it.

OP
OP
D

Dormammu

Reaction score
Did it again today. 84 degrees outside and it blew hot for 11 mins.

It’s definitely got a problem.