A/C not working - intermittant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's definitely not normal. Take it to the dealer.

taatt2girl

Reaction score
Hey I've had the same is happening to me lately in my 11, before it happened I was getting, a knocking noise whenever I put the air on. The knocking noise turned out to be the blower box, the little thin plastic fan on it was the issue, the pieces crack off . They have to replace with a newer stronger fan. But you haven't keep.an eye on the drainage lines as well. Good luck!! I know what a pain in the ass it is good luck.

Stout

Reaction score
Do they get pissy if you just go to a different dealer with the same problem?

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When it is blowing hot air, open the hood & see if the compressor is running.
If not then you may have an electrical issue, if the compressor is running then there may be a blend door stuck or mispositioned:33:

OP
OP
D

Dormammu

Reaction score
When it is blowing hot air, open the hood & see if the compressor is running.
If not then you may have an electrical issue, if the compressor is running then there may be a blend door stuck or mispositioned:33:

I'll do that, thank you!

buddy

Reaction score
Mine starting doing the same thing. One day cold air then next day may be hot air. Any ideas to what is causing this?

OP
OP
D

Dormammu

Reaction score
Mine starting doing the same thing. One day cold air then next day may be hot air. Any ideas to what is causing this?

We haven't taken ours to the dealer yet. We're going to take Mike's suggestion above and see if the compressor is running when it happens.

I also fully expect the dealer to say they couldn't recreate so we've bought a digital thermometer with a wire with plans to video tape the system behavior while operating normally, then video tape the system temperature when it's blowing hot.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time it acts up take a voltage reading at the battery with the engine at idle.
There is a valid reason for this, the ecm will cut the electrical load if the alternator quits or isn't charging enough. One of the first to go is the ac.

Last edited:

DCS_express

Reaction score
I think making a video is a good idea - having a video of my problem saved me from having the "we couldn't recreate the problem" discussion with the dealer. My dealer requested I post the video on YouTube and sent a link to some group in Dearborn, MI.

OP
OP
D

Dormammu

Reaction score
We haven't taken ours to the dealer yet. We're going to take Mike's suggestion above and see if the compressor is running when it happens.

I also fully expect the dealer to say they couldn't recreate so we've bought a digital thermometer with a wire with plans to video tape the system behavior while operating normally, then video tape the system temperature when it's blowing hot.

Just thought I'd give an update....

I did get a digital thermometer and was able to get a video of the system operating normally and another with the system blowing hot air for 15 mins.

And then it stopped doing it. No joke.

So the video that I have which was almost a month ago now is the last time it blew hot for the extended period of time.

Now what it does is blow hot for a few minutes every so often. Otherwise it blows cold immediately.

I haven't taken it to the dealer at this point. I think I can live with it the way it's operating now.