About to buy a 21 Expedition, but…rim size?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a platinum with 22s for the summer and 18” winter rims. The 22s are pretty stiff and handle nicely. They’re also great for highway driving and towing. The 18s are superior in town because of their compliance (pot holes aren’t so jarring) and lighter weight (acceleration is better). But the 18s are definitely worse on the highway: worse fuel economy and they tend to drift a little from one side to the other of the lane.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I own a 2018 Limited with 22” CCD. I test drove an XLT and a Platinum over a railroad crossing and on a level dirt road.
The reduced vibration into the cabin with the CCD sold me on it immediately. I also suspect that the CCD might result in less suspension wear over 100,000 miles.

BrianM

Reaction score
If you want the best overall ride, from what I've read you want the CCD, which is allegedly "tuned" to the larger rims. I don't have CCD, but I intend to order it when I buy my Expy, likely in 2022.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For best overall hwy ride, ccd is the way to go. For better handling and in town driving, smaller wheels are better. If I get another expy, I will def be getting ccd.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CCD isn't an option for the OP as he is looking at the XLT.
Yes Expedition XLT trim…no offroading, 100% street driving and wanting best ride possible. Look out the window.
So 18 or 20 or doesn’t matter?
That being the case, you should get the best ride out of the 18s due to (as most have said) the more generous sidewall. You also get the added benefit of not having to worry about curb rashing your rims...if you rash an 18 you dun effed up...haha.