AC not cold at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Neighbor:

We also live in south Texas, AC works great in all driving conditions including stop and go traffic with auto-Stop activated. Also own a 2018...

Expedition007

Reaction score
I know I have a different gen Expedition EL... a 2007. Mine needs a new fan shroud as somehow the hinged half was able to fold up and get destroyed by the fan. Without the full shroud, the condenser in in front of the radiator is not cooling at a standstill, at idle. The mechanical fan is just not spinning fast enough at a 500 RPM idle. It will however blow ice cold if I put it in neutral and take the RPMs up to 1,500 or so. Without good airflow through a condenser to cool it off, A/C line pressures will shoot up skyhigh, and it cannot cool properly. While traveling down the road, it will get plenty of airflow to work as desired.

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
We got our truck back recently after some warranty work because the rear vents were blowing only hot air. They replaced parts then took out all the refrigerant and refilled it. Our ac since then has been very, very cold while idle, and moving. This is with the AZ weather being consistently 105+

I believe they wrote on the invoice, while diagnosing, that the refrigerant and pressure were both low. I saw a bulletin # as well which I think was for contaminated refrigerant. Ours is an 18.

Teasip

Reaction score
I have an early date 2018 Expy that had the AC problem with the contaminant. This involved getting the entire AC system replaced. All the tubing, compressor, condensers, etc. I don't know what the contaminant was, but something not easily flushed. Perhaps there were metal flakes from tubing, etc. not properly cleaned before installation at factory.

Eyecando

Reaction score
Sounds like your engine may be overheating. The Air Conditioner can't work properly if excessive heat from the radiator is being transferred to the Condenser. I'd check the radiator fan to make sure it is running when you come to a stop with the engine hot. Is coolant level OK? The engine thermostat is a possible issue also since it could be sticking or not opening fully. I'm assuming the engine is running when this problem occurs.