Acquiring signal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

legendary70

Reaction score
Hello.

My 2013 expedition el keeps acquiring signal on Sirius xm. There are spots where it connects and it plays fine. Then while I keep driving it stops again and keeps acquiring and won't find the dam signal. Clear blue TEXAS skies and still nothing.

Support and higher end support send signals and supposedly they sent and update to radio that might take 8 hours to complete. Well the radio did say complete.

Still same issues. Any ideas short of canceling? Thx

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I have heard that the antennas can go bad on these due to water leaking around them. If you want to spend a few bucks, you can replace it. I believe you only have to remove some trim and bend down the headliner to unscrew the antenna. A lot of work if that's not the problem. You could buy one and test it out on the dashboard without installing it, and return it if not the problem?

I'm in New York and my '08 "Acquires Signal" sometimes every ten minutes or so for a few seconds.

Mackenzie Gans

Reaction score
I had the same issue, I heard it was a result of cellphone carriers using a similar frequency and running interference into the SiriusXM signal.

What I did to resolve it was listen to radio on the SiriusXM app on my phone (Much higher quality than direct satellite stream) and connect via bluetooth to the stereo.

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
Hello.

My 2013 expedition el keeps acquiring signal on Sirius xm. There are spots where it connects and it plays fine. Then while I keep driving it stops again and keeps acquiring and won't find the dam signal. Clear blue TEXAS skies and still nothing.

Support and higher end support send signals and supposedly they sent and update to radio that might take 8 hours to complete. Well the radio did say complete.

Still same issues. Any ideas short of canceling? Thx

I would be more apt to believe that it was your cell phone interfering with the SiriusXM. SiriusXM transmits in a 12 MHz segment between 2.32 GHz and 2.3325 GHZ. Your cell phone's wireless and Blue Tooth transmit around 2.4 GHz. Depending on the carrier you use (Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, etc..) the closest their frequencies come is around 300 MHz away from Sirius, or close to thereof.
Do you use your cell phone in your vehicle with it connected to your car via BT or are you perhaps using your cell phone as a hot spot while in your vehicle? If you are, try listening to your Sirius with your cell phone turned completely off. If that doesn't improve your reception then I would bet you have an antenna issue with your Sirius receiver...

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With mine, I'm sure it is something external. I know every place that I will lose signal. It is near freeway interchanges. I don't know what is there but it happens every time I go by. It only happens for a short time but it is annoying.

akacolonel

Reaction score
I have a 2014 expy. Had same problem. Replace the puck antenna on passenger side of roof.. problem fixed. Hope this helps...

Snidley53

Reaction score
I had the same issue and the dealer replaced the antenna on the roof, it was bought as a CPO and was covered under warranty. I believe there is a TSB on this issue.

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Old Thread but gotta ask;
Doesn't the GPS and Sirius use the same antenna?
I'm also having the no signal/ acquiring symptoms. But if they both use the same, then I can rule out a bad antenna and hope that I find a bad connection to the radio?
Any comments or opinions please.
And Thank you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01