Adding new smart key - easy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhk118

Reaction score
Anyone ever do or try this? Do I need FORScan? Need to add a 3rd smart key to my '18 Expy. Have the part number and can buy one online significantly cheaper than from dealer.

Is this something easy to program? I am not going to get the key insert cut. Online it says you need to program the key as well as an immobilizer chip and have the dealership or locksmith do it. On another website found this process for coding the key which seems very simple:

1. Access the backup slot. The backup slot is located underneath the rubber in the bottom of the cup holder between front seats.
2. Insert the first programmed key in the backup slot.
3. Press the push button ignition switch.
4. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
5. Remove the smart key.
6. Within 10 seconds, place a second programmed smart key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.
7. Wait five seconds and then press the push button ignition switch again.
8. Remove the intelligent smart key.
9. Wait five seconds, then place the un-programmed smart key in the backup slot and press the push button ignition switch.
10. Once complete, the information cluster displays a message confirming the key has been programmed. The direction indicators flash and the horn sounds

Appreciate any input, Thanks!

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Added a third one to mine. Those are the correct instructions and they are also in the owners manual. You should not have any issues. Local shop wanted $75 just to cut the key blank, so I did what you are planning and leaving it uncut.

OP
OP
R

rhk118

Reaction score
Just got the new key and following that procedure worked on the 3rd try...I think I was waiting too long in-between steps, on the 3rd attempt I just put one key in, hit the button, counted to 3 and hit the button....switched keys and did the same thing, then the blank and it worked...just go fast and it worked a charm! I'll inquire price to get the key cut at the dealer next oil change, but for $75 I'll just make sure I have an extra battery for the remote around instead! This one is just a spare.

Anyone wanting to do this on '18 Expedition here are the numbers you need:
PN 164-R8149, Strattec 5929500
FCC ID M3N-A2C93142600 , M3N-A2C931426

Last edited:

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on the remote there are two different batteries. The integrated keyhead remote uses a CR2032 and the intelligent access remote uses a CR2450.

rcpandr

Reaction score
Got my 3rd remote from yourkeylessremote.com. Programming was easy and my dealer cut mine for free! I wrapped it in aluminum foil and put it in glove box. If I lose my keys I'll have a spare with me.