Adding skid plates to 2018 Limited with tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I undertook the RCI full skid package install today, and for one thing, they are really well built. I can't believe that for the price of these things, they effectively use cardboard skids on the most important parts of the vehicle.

Overall, the install wasn't too bad, getting things lined up was a bit of a pain, and as @cmurphy2 mentioned, I did have to drill one hole in the frame to get the transfer case plate installed, one of the holes actually lined up, and luckily I was able to use the existing square cutout for the speed clip. I also cut the two bolts between the front plate and the second plate, I may actually drill holes in the frame in these locations and put self tapping bolts in as well, just to keep it more secure.

The biggest issue I had with this whole install though, is the two front brackets and the fact that the brackets weren't long enough to get both holes on each to line up. You can see in the picture, that they are a good inch off, and this causes the intercooler mounting bracket to sit angled once everything is together, I think what I'm going to do is take the brackets off, one at a time, and cut them shorter, and drill a hole through the bracket into the frame, and use self tapping bolts to put one more bolt in each bracket. I just don't really like the intercooler bracket being kind of angled like that. Anyone else run into that?

Otherwise, I'm very happy so far.

IMG_20200326_151007~1.jpg

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a few new photos. I went ahead and pulled off the front skid brackets, cut them shorter (cut exactly 1.25") off of each one, so that my intercooler bracket properly sits flat on the frame rail. I also drill two holes in each bracket, and used some self threading bolts from my local Ace to give them two mounting points again.

Finally, the other picture shows how I supported the second section of skid on the crossmember. This will help ensure no rattles and makes it a little more sturdy in the center. I used one of the existing speed nut and bolt pairs, and one of the existing holes. I just drilled one hole in the second plate. I also threw in a 1/2" steel spacer (also from Ace). Way more sturdy. And it was in just the right spot not to interfere with the first plate. IMG_20200329_150131~1.jpg
IMG_20200329_150015~1.jpg

Dclr

Reaction score
Excellent write-up and thanks.

I have the same skids and had the same questions about alignment and, after speaking directly to RCI, they clarified the install instructions but still I had install/hole alignment issues.

I hope you send these to RCI. With the price they are charging, there is no excuse for the lack of clear instructions let alone hardware that actually lines up and doesn't require significant modification.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just installed RCI skid plates on my 2014 and I agree, their instructions do suck. But quality parts.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree all around. Great quality, but the instructions/pictures are nearly unusable. Pretty much everything went together well, except for the first two, had to do tons of pulling and tugging to get things to line up well. As long as it stays together, I'm happy as heck, considering a vehicle with an MSRP above $80K had cardboard ones to begin with.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All, wanted to give you an update. I have been working with RCI on this very issue, and luckily they've been great to respond. Turns out, that basically anyone with an Expy should purchase their 09-14' F150 kits. Apparently they have slightly different brackets and mounting holes, which will line up much better with the intercooler bracket and the frame cross member, the two sets have slightly different dimensions and bends that will line up better.

So if you have a 3rd or 4th gen Expy, they are saying to please purchase the 09-14' F150 kits. Not the newer ones.

Jeka

Reaction score
Hey All, wanted to give you an update. I have been working with RCI on this very issue, and luckily they've been great to respond. Turns out, that basically anyone with an Expy should purchase their 09-14' F150 kits. Apparently they have slightly different brackets and mounting holes, which will line up much better with the intercooler bracket and the frame cross member, the two sets have slightly different dimensions and bends that will line up better.

So if you have a 3rd or 4th gen Expy, they are saying to please purchase the 09-14' F150 kits. Not the newer ones.
Thanks for the update! RCI website says 09-14 kit requires removal of the plastic air dam under bumper... As I understand you got 15-20 kit - did you remove your air dam? Do you know if the difference is only in brackets design or plates themselves are different as well? Thx.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I removed my air damn to begin with, just because I feel like it looks better, and ultimately the aerodynamics of this thing (basically a rolling wall) mean that the air damn would provide little efficiency. I actually think that removing it made the install a tad easier even on this kit.

And yes, the brackets are different and functionally so are the first two plates. Slightly longer, with slightly different bends. There are different attachment points in the center as well. Wish I had realized it, but that's my fault.

Jeka

Reaction score
Just called RCI, wanted to order a set. Dude on the phone did not want to discuss any options for my 2018 Expedition. He said none of the kits would fit, period! I didn't even get to my air dam/drilling questions...
With that kind of support, I guess I am back to FX4/Raptor path...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WTF? Seriously, the guy I've been working with has been amazingly helpful. That makes me mad.