Alignment and dealer(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you running the factory lower control arm bolts? I'm in the process of rebuilding my truck and was surprised to see the front LCAs didn't have concentrics. Due to rust I had to cut off the arms and factory bolts anyway so I replaced with an alignment kit. Curious to see how it aligns once everything is back together.

With that kit a shop should be able to push the LCAs out a bit to address the outside tire wear.
Isn't it the top arm that controls the camber though?

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Goodyear is no better. Picked up a 2002 f-150 serviced only by goodyear. They never lubed the drag link end on the frame rail. Guy I bought it off had it pull it completly off the frame rail frame plated both sides truck still on the road!!!!!

Old Gearhead

Reaction score
I would never go to Firestone again for any service. Here in KY, Hopkinsville Firestone is worthless. Poor service, untrained technicians and long waits. I do go to Leon Riley Ford in Benton KY with VERY good results for all of my repairs. I do agree with many of the reviewers, unfortunately many of today's alignment shops are hit or miss.

Brons2

Reaction score
Interesting that a number of posters mention outside tire wear on their vehicles. When I got mine it had noticeably worn the insides of the tires. I replaced the tires a few months back, but dreading the alignment job that I probably should have done to avoid my new tires suffering the same fate.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alignments are hit or miss just about everywhere I've been. Either very few techs know how to perform a proper 4-wheel alignment or most just don't put much effort into it. I once purchased a Sears Automotive lifetime alignment and revisited to the same location numerous times for adjustments before finding a location in another borough with a knowledgeable tech who listened to my concerns got it right on his first attempt.

Since Firestone was mentioned I'll just add that my only experience with them was through my brother. I changed his brakes and rotors a month before he took his vehicle to the only location in town for an alignment, thinking it would be better than a random garage. He called me at work to say the mechanic was changing his brakes and rotors because they were unsafe and badly worn, at the cost of $500+. I flew down there in record time to speak with these people, who had allegedly completed the job. I won't bother with the details but the result was payment for an alignment and nothing more after they failed to produce the parts they allegedly removed.

Rant over. This was several years ago and I still get tense thinking about it.
Firestone has worked years and screwed many people so they deserve the reputation they have. POS

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
If the alignment was done with a worn or bad ball joint or tierod, it will never be right. 90% of alignments, the toe in/out adjustment is the only thing done. Always make sure the shop gives you the print out, showing everything 'in the green'. AAA car care, gave me the excuse, the printer ran out of ink. Guess what, I wound up going back because it was still off. The lazy tech tried to BS me and say my steering box had 'free play'. Then he used the old go to 'it may be a tire pull'. The second alignment was better. There is a guy on youtube, that shows using a tape measure and string pulled tight, to line back wheels, with the front. The string takes the place of the laser. I tried it, adjusting the tierod using measurements off the string. I adjusted the camber with a level and the rim. It drove perfect. In fact, I paid for alignment, just to see how close I got it. The tech said it was all in spec.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been aligning my wheels with strings and bubble levels for about 50 years with NO problems, I can't remember the last time I had a shop do it. OK everybody squawk NOW!

Brons2

Reaction score
I have been aligning my wheels with strings and bubble levels for about 50 years with NO problems, I can't remember the last time I had a shop do it. OK everybody squawk NOW!

What are the tools and procedures needed for this?