All season tire recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I guess no tire shop around here are stocking up any michelins. I've called 8 shops already and none have them in stock but either have some mastercrafts, goodyears, Yokohama and some other brands that I've never heard of. It's snowing out here now and the wife needs to work in the morning so I guess it's the mastercrafts or Yokohamas. I'll leave that up to her since she wants them today.

What did you end up putting on for tires?

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never found a tire that truly excelled at all season but the ones mentioned did come the closest (Michelin and Continental) with Continental being much better in icy conditions and Michelin better in deep snow. That being said, I got a spare set of cheap rims with dedicated winter tires and my nice rims with daily driver tires. Saves your good rims from all the road salt too. I'll bet you can find a set of take off rims and tires for $300 on craigslist from someone who put chrome 22" on their expy.

Last edited:

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hankook Dynapro are hard to beat for a reasonable priced tire. My 05 King Ranch had the Continental's and handled very well. I give an edge to Hankook for winter driving. I had the Michelin's on my 04 Dodge Ram 1500, now has DynaPros. For me the Hankooks handled all weather conditions much better. And yep it sucks here in Oregon as well, snow every other day and the Kooks handle like dry ground.

bjtor

Reaction score
BF Goodrich All Terrain KO on my 08
They handle great in everything and are very tough

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BFG AT KO's handle grrrreeat in the wet... rain or dry, it's all the same (though I still kick it over into 4x4 Auto mode if it's seriously wet, just in case)

And the 1/2" tread is some serious rubber

...may or may not be a little loud, though, dunno since I haven't tried anything else yet

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most here love the Michelin LTX M/S, but I'm not really a fan. I had a set and the treadwear was great. However, the grip in the rain or snow was severely lacking compared even to the s*itty Pirelli Scorpions I have on my truck now (which are toast at under 30K btw). My main gripe with the Michelins right now though is that a huge portion of the reviewers that purchased them in the last couple years have had the tires dry rot on them long before the tread wore down. It's gotten so difficult to find a tire that covers all the bases (treadwear, rain/snow/dry grip, etc.) that I'm ready to just buy cheap and replace more often.

I've had the same issue with the Michelins and dry rot with plenty of trend left. IMHO, they are a poor value because of this (considering that they are usually more expensive than other brands).

It sounds like you're not a Firestone fan, but I've had Firestone Destination LE2 on mine and they were ok. They had surprisingly good wet traction and were ok in the snow plus quiet (as you would want from an A/S tire). I've upgraded to Destination AT after ~50k miles on the LE2s. I had the ATs on my 02 Expy and they were a great compromise between the Uber traction of the BFG ATs without the harshness that they seemed to have. Anyway, the 'Stones work for me in PA on my Expys.

DesertFordRat

Reaction score
I am not up north but have faired well in various weather conditions with Kelly Safari ATR. They are very quiet and have been decent for on and off road. Ill be heading up the mountain on Friday where conditions are bad. I guess ill really find out then.

DesertFordRat

Reaction score
I am not up north but have faired well in various weather conditions with Kelly Safari ATR. They are very quiet and have been decent for on and off road. Ill be heading up the mountain on Friday where conditions are bad. I guess ill really find out then.

After my mountain trip I would say the Safari tires are decent. I had one scary moment on black ice, but pushed through snow and normal ice with no issues. It was funny watching a guy spin his wheels on the same hill I just went up with ease. I have 2wd.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
Check out Mastercraft Courser. They are a Cooper house brand. I have them on my Expy (all season) as will as on my Explorer (on/off rd AXT). Both have by far out performed factory tires and Bridgestone Dualers and the tread life is amazing...for 2/3 the price.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire