Alternator Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I had the message come up on the dash along with the battery light saying "check charging system", I checked out several forums and threads already and I believe that it is the alternator.
My guy at autozone tested the battery for me and it was about 75% charged and the alternator (truck running) was only putting out 11.9 volts where it should be about 13-14 so he also strongly recommended I change the alternator.
My question is, can I go higher than the stock 110 amp on my 2006 XLT? I see 150 amps and either 130 or 135 amps but I'm not sure which will fit or if I get, say a 150 amp if I'll have to upgrade anything else to support the new ampage output. And also should I stay away from remanufactured as opposed to new?
I'll attach some of the ones I've been looking to give you a better idea.
Thanks guys
c5743184402c42f68b1c8236a4616881.jpg
a9adac7f2a4fccc43fd02ceed756b7dd.jpg
446f2c9bd4c1af571e2211a041874cd2.jpg

I'd really love to go with the 150 amp from DB electrical... Seems to have decent reviews and that's a good ampage from what I've heard... Again though thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More is usually better but in the case of electricity you need the demand for more. Similar to an old house that has 100 amp service compared to newer homes with 200amps. If your not going to need the higher amperage it is a waste of money if it costs more.
You may also consider taking your alt out to a local auto electrical shop that specializes in starter / alternator repair for an estimate.
Since your charging voltage was read at the battery that only shows you voltage at that the battery. Did they check at the output stud to ground at the alternator? The alternator could be working but the cable to the battery is shot - it happens but is rare.
The best method is to bench test the alternator, that way all your electrical connections in the vehicle are removed from the test. It is testing through known good wiring.

And to answer your question, no upgrades are necessary. But all connections need to be clean and secure so that very little resistance is introduced in the circuit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More is usually better but in the case of electricity you need the demand for more. Similar to an old house that has 100 amp service compared to newer homes with 200amps. If your not going to need the higher amperage it is a waste of money if it costs more.
You may also consider taking your alt out to a local auto electrical shop that specializes in starter / alternator repair for an estimate.
Since your charging voltage was read at the battery that only shows you voltage at that the battery. Did they check at the output stud to ground at the alternator? The alternator could be working but the cable to the battery is shot - it happens but is rare.
The best method is to bench test the alternator, that way all your electrical connections in the vehicle are removed from the test. It is testing through known good wiring.

Well yes I do believe they tested the alternator and not just the battery... I couldn't believe 11 when he told me that I always thought they idle around 13-14 but anyways autozone has a 130 amp for $140 but seeing as I will soon as front and rear lights, winch, CB radio and couple other things I might go with the 150 from Amazon... Im wondering if anyone knows if that particular one will fit from DB... Eventually will be adding an Odyssey battery to support everything as well

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U can get the 150 amp...bolt right up without any probs...I have a 300 watt high output although on mine...no probs

Mr. 10K

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U can get the 150 amp...bolt right up without any probs...I have a 300 watt high output although on mine...no probs

Mr. 10K

Holy hell lol... Yeah I think I am going to go with the 150 amp from DB.. Seem to be a good seller and rough look it seems it'll fit just fine

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score

And to answer your question, no upgrades are necessary. But all connections need to be clean and secure so that very little resistance is introduced in the circuit.

This. I would add that autozone and the like do not test like a repair shop or alternator repair shop would. I haven't had the need recently but have used an alternator repair shop to repair and while there upgrade an alternator in an old International Scout and it was barely more than a reman unit from autozone.

I would also recommend the "big 3" if you have added large amperage draws like a big stereo, winch, etc. Meaning upgrading the wiring from the + alternator to battery, - battery to ground, and - engine to ground.

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This. I would add that autozone and the like do not test like a repair shop or alternator repair shop would. I haven't had the need recently but have used an alternator repair shop to repair and while there upgrade an alternator in an old International Scout and it was barely more than a reman unit from autozone.

I would also recommend the "big 3" if you have added large amperage draws like a big stereo, winch, etc. Meaning upgrading the wiring from the + alternator to battery, - battery to ground, and - engine to ground.

Well as of right now I have only ordered the 150 amp alternator from DB electrical... I hope to be able to at least install it in the next few days when it gets here and have he truck running again... If there are any supporting upgrades I need to do to suit the 150 amp better I'd strongly appreciate that info... Also my Issue and why I needed a new alternator in the first place was that the battery would lose charge as I drive the truck... I can start about 60% of the time right now but as I go along the road and watch the battery gauge it slowly goes down to "L" and my electronics dim; when the truck stops and I shut it off after driving like this I cannot turn it back on until at least several hours later (in case it was the next day that I turned it on and drove back home after spending the night).

Just emphasize my point further and what I'm asking.... Do I need anything else to o along with my 150 amp alternator or can I bolt it on, plug it in, charge the battery, and be back to normal having no issues?

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u don't need anything for the alt...it will bolt right on...he's suggesting the big 3 wire upgrade if ur running other accessories like subs in the back like I am...I have 2-18s in the back and TV's and underglow lights in and under the truck...so I need the big 3 upgrade...lol...reason why I have a 300 watt alt that bolted right in place on my 04...nothing needed to put it on...i'll be adding a 2nd alt and 2-3 batteries in my truck cuz of my audio system...i'll have 4 or 5 amps pushing 10K watts....HINT HINT for my name...lol

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u don't need anything for the alt...it will bolt right on...he's suggesting the big 3 wire upgrade if ur running other accessories like subs in the back like I am...I have 2-18s in the back and TV's and underglow lights in and under the truck...so I need the big 3 upgrade...lol...reason why I have a 300 watt alt that bolted right in place on my 04...nothing needed to put it on...i'll be adding a 2nd alt and 2-3 batteries in my truck cuz of my audio system...i'll have 4 or 5 amps pushing 10K watts....HINT HINT for my name...lol

Lol 10k... So I have almost nothing as of right now aside from some HIDs, LEDs, head unit, and a few other little things so of of now I don't need to go looking for any 6 gauge wire or anything right?

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also eventually I'll have 2 light bars and a winch but that's a long ways off trying to fix before I mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk