Any 30'+ Travel Trailer owners out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickattu

Reaction score
I am in a similar situation - Quad bunk with 4 kids. We pull a Cruiser RV - Shadow Cruiser 280QBS. I have a 2017 EL Limited.

Here is the floorpan - https://www.cruiserrv.com/2018/travel-trailers/shadow-cruiser/sc-280qbs

I Just weighed Saturday in prep for our trip out west this week. With my Reese Stediflex WDH - here are my weights from the CAT Scale:

Steer (Front) Axle - 2940
Drive (Rear) Axle - 4220
Trailer - 5740

Tongue Weight - 860 (13%)

My Gross Combined Weight is 12,900

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep in mind tongue weight is usually around 12-13% of trailer weight, so you code easily hit 1,000# tongue. What's your cargo capacity? My 2017 Limited is just under 1,400#, so wife, kids, me, and other stuff (cell phones, air compressor, dog, etc) wouldn't be possible with that heavy of a trailer.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trailer is 31 ft and 7600 lbs. I think we're around 7k. Took it to the scale but forget the final number. Anyway, I wouldn't go any larger. With a family of five we're basically out of payload. All the trailers I've looked at with more than 1 slide and a bunkhouse are too heavy.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trailer is 31 ft and 7600 lbs. I think we're around 7k. Took it to the scale but forget the final number. Anyway, I wouldn't go any larger. With a family of five we're basically out of payload. All the trailers I've looked at with more than 1 slide and a bunkhouse are too heavy.

they quit making my trailer in 2018, but if you can find one, it has a bunk house for sleeping for 4, and a queen bed in front with a slide. The GVWR is 7600 pounds.

293ubh.png

Jim Trombley

Reaction score
I would recommend adding a sway control bar to your equalizer hitch if you don't have one. I have a 2017 Expedition Limited and tow 28.5ft 2016 Nomad with flat front and high ceilings. I use equalizer load bearing hitch with sway control bar. It tows great mostly without swaying but with high ceilings, it is scary when 18 wheelers pass by. The draft really pushes hard on the camper and can cause sway. To minimize this I stay under 60mph and stay in the right lane on highways with semi's. If I go over 65 the big rig draft can cause my expeditions sway control to kick in. Just hold the steering wheel hard and let it pass.

Networkit

Reaction score
We have 2018 Limited with HD tow package and tow 25" Grand Design 21BHE and granted its smaller than most listed, but we barely notice it's there.. could not be happier.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would recommend adding a sway control bar to your equalizer hitch if you don't have one. I have a 2017 Expedition Limited and tow 28.5ft 2016 Nomad with flat front and high ceilings. I use equalizer load bearing hitch with sway control bar. It tows great mostly without swaying but with high ceilings, it is scary when 18 wheelers pass by. The draft really pushes hard on the camper and can cause sway. To minimize this I stay under 60mph and stay in the right lane on highways with semi's. If I go over 65 the big rig draft can cause my expeditions sway control to kick in. Just hold the steering wheel hard and let it pass.

The Equalizer E4 has built in sway control

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani