Any 30'+ Travel Trailer owners out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hooked up for a short hundred mile trip. Found the scale weigh in too.

IMG_20190613_153304346_HDR.jpg 15604671778662272514746671426972.jpg

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
I’m not an expert but I think the steer and drive axle should be closer with no rear squat (if you have a WDH setup correctly). A squatted rear end will make steering a little more challenging.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m not an expert but I think the steer and drive axle should be closer with no rear squat (if you have a WDH setup correctly). A squatted rear end will make steering a little more challenging.

while in theory that's how it should be, but you can't get there in any way shape or form. When setting up a WDH, its about the front end mostly. Measure without trailer, measure with trailer, and the WDH when set up properly brings the front back down to 1/2 way or a hair more when properly setup. The weight has to go somewhere, so some goes to the front but majority stays on the rear. There is no way to ad 1000 pounds or more of tongue weight and not have the rear squat, while some it does go to the front axle(which is the point of a WDH), 60% or more is still on the back axle.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I moved more weight off the back after I got saw the numbers. My wife didn't feel like waiting for me to make multiple passes on the scale because we were returning from a trip. It definitely improved the handling. Much less bouncy. We drove back from a trip today with some 20+ mph gusts and it handled fine. I plan to go back to the scale soon and make sure it's sorted.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
while in theory that's how it should be, but you can't get there in any way shape or form. When setting up a WDH, its about the front end mostly. Measure without trailer, measure with trailer, and the WDH when set up properly brings the front back down to 1/2 way or a hair more when properly setup. The weight has to go somewhere, so some goes to the front but majority stays on the rear. There is no way to ad 1000 pounds or more of tongue weight and not have the rear squat, while some it does go to the front axle(which is the point of a WDH), 60% or more is still on the back axle.

You’re probably right, but here is an interesting video showing the impact of a WDH on weight: .

Montana Wildcat

Reaction score
35 foot, 6700 lb Mallard M32 here. '14 Expo EL Limited with tow package pulls it like a champ. Gotta have the WDH and sway control, though. I average 65-70 mph through the hills/mountains of Montana with no problem.

20190616_133929.jpg

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice trailer!

Thanks! It worked perfectly for us with our tow vehicle. As we have a large family and use the tow vehicle as a daily driver.

I have attached photograph of the frame brackets so everyone can see how high they are positioned. I had 4140 lbs on the back axle before moving the bracket up.

Frame Bracket.jpg