Any 30'+ Travel Trailer owners out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Three. But I probably could one have used one or two more. We are pulling to Florida right now. I'll see if I can stop at a scale on the way.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an Equalizer and use 5 washers. I don't have the load leveling air bags either.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's another reading from the scale. Moving the brackets all the way up moved around 300 lbs to the front. But team mom asked us to haul some beverages, so rear axle actually went over by 520 lbs. I wasn't happy about that, but it was my error because we didn't load the additional weight in the trailer like we were supposed to. Front axle was 480lbs below capacity and we were 360lbs below GCWR. This is two adults and two kids, around 650 lbs. I think we need stiffer bars for the WDH. Not enough weight moving forwards.

IMG_20190630_164442385.jpg

Iamsam1117

Reaction score
30ft tows nicely behind this using a Hensley Arrow hitch with no sway problems. Had to pull it out for some cleaning today so it's not fully booked hooked up I'll get more when it's taken camping in a few months!

IMG_20190630_071337.jpg

IMG_20190630_071929.jpg

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
Here's another reading from the scale. Moving the brackets all the way up moved around 300 lbs to the front. But team mom asked us to haul some beverages, so rear axle actually went over by 520 lbs. I wasn't happy about that, but it was my error because we didn't load the additional weight in the trailer like we were supposed to. Front axle was 480lbs below capacity and we were 360lbs below GCWR. This is two adults and two kids, around 650 lbs. I think we need stiffer bars for the WDH. Not enough weight moving forwards.

View attachment 30814

I think the Equalizer docs say to add washers before moving the brackets. Although it’s probably easier to move the brackets.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am in a similar situation - Quad bunk with 4 kids. We pull a Cruiser RV - Shadow Cruiser 280QBS. I have a 2017 EL Limited.

Here is the floorpan - https://www.cruiserrv.com/2018/travel-trailers/shadow-cruiser/sc-280qbs

I Just weighed Saturday in prep for our trip out west this week. With my Reese Stediflex WDH - here are my weights from the CAT Scale:

Steer (Front) Axle - 2940
Drive (Rear) Axle - 4220
Trailer - 5740

Tongue Weight - 860 (13%)

My Gross Combined Weight is 12,900

How did this setup tow? I've looked at this model but the length scared me away. I'm towing 26ft now which is supposedly a super light trailer (4900 dry, 6200GVWR) and I'm really shocked shadow cruiser could pull off 5700 ponds dry on something that size with tongue and groove roof and floors. Maybe I need to give it another look. I pulled my 26ft box trailer from Boise to couer'd'laine a few weeks ago and averaged 7-8mpg at 70. Cost a little over $400 of premium fuel for that trip, still cheaper than renting a hotel room for 5 people.

JohnnyFort

Reaction score
I tow a Sunset Trail 270bh with an overall length of 31'11" and a GVWR of 7600lbs with my 2017 EL Limited with HD towing. I went on the scale last year and the trailer axles weighted 6600lbs. I thought my tongue were was arround 850-900lbs max (13%). I bought a trailer tongue scale and found out that my tongue weight was a bit over 1000lbs loaded for camping wihtout fresh water in the tank. o_O

I have an Equalizer WDH with 1000lbs bars and even tough I can bring the front at the unhook height there noticeable squat in the back. I'm using the max number of washers (8) in the head. The bars are just not strong enough. You want the bars parra

The ride is good with very minimal sway in big crosswind, no white knuckles, just the back bouncing a little here and there.

If I were to do it again, I will buy the 1200lbs bars. The 624lbs tongue weight in the brochure wasn't really accurate...

In short, a 32ft overall travel trailer is ok if setup correctly.

Dr0idattack

Reaction score
I tow a Sunset Trail 270bh with an overall length of 31'11" and a GVWR of 7600lbs with my 2017 EL Limited with HD towing. I went on the scale last year and the trailer axles weighted 6600lbs. I thought my tongue were was arround 850-900lbs max (13%). I bought a trailer tongue scale and found out that my tongue weight was a bit over 1000lbs loaded for camping wihtout fresh water in the tank. o_O

I have an Equalizer WDH with 1000lbs bars and even tough I can bring the front at the unhook height there noticeable squat in the back. I'm using the max number of washers (8) in the head. The bars are just not strong enough. You want the bars parra

The ride is good with very minimal sway in big crosswind, no white knuckles, just the back bouncing a little here and there.

If I were to do it again, I will buy the 1200lbs bars. The 624lbs tongue weight in the brochure wasn't really accurate...

In short, a 32ft overall travel trailer is ok if setup correctly.

I went with the 1200 just in case, and my tongue weight is just 700ish with normal load (I don’t pull with water in the tank.)

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My trailer came with 800lb bars. The CAT scales told me I have 930lbs of tongue weight. $70 later and I now have 1200lb bars and a lot less bouncing. I highly recommend upgrading the bars.