Any 30'+ Travel Trailer owners out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ynpmoose

Reaction score
I currently have a 4850dry/7000max TT that is 26.5' long (old style flatter front) and it tows beautifully with an Equalizer hitch on my 2016 Expy. No sway unless there is a decent crosswind or a truck really flys past, even then it's manageable by just dropping 5-10 mph. I pretty much have been able to keep to the speed limit all over the northeast, rarely dropping speed a hair on really big/long hills, just to not beat-up the truck unnecessarily.

With 4 kids, I'd really like to get a quad bunk TT. I'm considering one that is 5600dry/7500max, with a more sloped front, so I'm not worried about the weight at all. My bigger concern is that this thing is 33' long. That is 6.5' feet longer and I'm concern that I may start having sway issues.

Any feedback from big TT owners is appreciated.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm towing a Outback 293UBH that's 32 1/2' long without any issues, I tow it with a 2003 too.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What model/brand are you looking at with quad bunks at that weight (does it have a slide?)? I'd love to do the same thing but the weight typically rules out these trailers for me. Also keep in mind where you like to camp, will you still be able to maneuver a trailer that much longer into your favorite spots?

Also, do you have an EL or a short wheelbase expedition? If EL, I think you'd still be OK as long as your hitch was dialed in correctly, you'd more than likely have to change it when moving it to the new trailer. Also consider tongue weight, the longer trailer will probably have a higher tongue weight which comes off your payload number on the expedition.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What model/brand are you looking at with quad bunks at that weight (does it have a slide?)? I'd love to do the same thing but the weight typically rules out these trailers for me. Also keep in mind where you like to camp, will you still be able to maneuver a trailer that much longer into your favorite spots?

Also, do you have an EL or a short wheelbase expedition? If EL, I think you'd still be OK as long as your hitch was dialed in correctly, you'd more than likely have to change it when moving it to the new trailer. Also consider tongue weight, the longer trailer will probably have a higher tongue weight which comes off your payload number on the expedition.

I don't know what the big deal is? I tow a 33 1/2' Keystone Outback 293 UBH that's dry at 5800, and has a GVWR of 7600 without any issues and it's the old 5.4 2 valve. I can't imagine having a newer 3 valve with a 6 speed or the Ecobeast!

A properly set up WD hitch is the answer to it all, don't cheap out on a crappy one that costs $300 and wonder why it sucks so bad, or it sways all the time...

I have an Equalizer E4 with 6 washers on the head, and a prodigy brake controller and have never felt unsafe... You will be just fine!

OP
OP
ynpmoose

ynpmoose

Reaction score
I don't know what the big deal is? I tow a 33 1/2' Keystone Outback 293 UBH that's dry at 5800, and has a GVWR of 7600 without any issues and it's the old 5.4 2 valve. I can't imagine having a newer 3 valve with a 6 speed or the Ecobeast!

A properly set up WD hitch is the answer to it all, don't cheap out on a crappy one that costs $300 and wonder why it sucks so bad, or it sways all the time...

I have an Equalizer E4 with 6 washers on the head, and a prodigy brake controller and have never felt unsafe... You will be just fine!

I had no concerns about power or hitch weight control. My main concern is the extra 6.5' of side wall to catch crosswind and passing semis. I do have the Equalizer E4 as well, so it seems like this is not a bad bet that it will be fine.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no concerns about power or hitch weight control. My main concern is the extra 6.5' of side wall to catch crosswind and passing semis. I do have the Equalizer E4 as well, so it seems like this is not a bad bet that it will be fine.

EL and non EL models handle very similarly. It’s a measly 12” of wheelbase extra.....If my last standard length wasn’t up to the task to pull it safely neither is my EL. I think you’ll be fine so long as you set it all up correctly.

Iamsam1117

Reaction score
Check out a hitch on our 30ft trailer "The Hensley Arrow" no problems whatsoever

mike lemon

Reaction score
@018 EXP platinum. Tow Jayco Swift 294BHS (33 foot, 6200# empty). Equalizer hitch setup. Tows very well. Not in mountains yet, but my 2010 EXP did well through KY and TN, so with more hp and torque expect even easier time with same trailer. notice it there for sure but never felt overwhelmed.