Any tips for replacing the right upstream 02 sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wal92tt

Reaction score
Quick question: 1999 EB 5.4
How do you easily remove the right upstream 02 sensor?
I have the wheel shroud removed but there's no room to work with! The angle the sensor sits at, I can't get a wrench in there. I rented the 02 socket tool from Autozone, but I just don't see how to manipulate it in such a tight space?
I'm cleaning up the rust on the truck to get the trucks horns to both work. They're not getting a proper ground. Hopefully by the time I'm done, someone will have given me some good tips on the 02 sensor....

OP
OP
Wal92tt

Wal92tt

Reaction score
I just spent some time on it and from what I now see, moving the trans dipstick tube will not do it. It looks like I need to disconnect the exhaust from the manifold, drop the exhaust a bit and maybe then I'll have enough space to actually work the tool around the sensor. I'll get back to it in an hour after picking up one of our sons from school....

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
I can't speak to the 5.4 exactly, but I changed both on my 4.6L. I gave both sensors a good shot of PB Blaster before, then it was just a matter of finding the right angle to get the wrench on it. Thankfully the PB worked & it took very little to break the threads loose. The really hard part on mine was getting my hand in there to reconnect the wire harness.

PebB7gA.jpg

OP
OP
Wal92tt

Wal92tt

Reaction score
I can't speak to the 5.4 exactly, but I changed both on my 4.6L. I gave both sensors a good shot of PB Blaster before, then it was just a matter of finding the right angle to get the wrench on it. Thankfully the PB worked & it took very little to break the threads loose. The really hard part on mine was getting my hand in there to reconnect the wire harness.

PebB7gA.jpg

On my 5.4, the sensor is elsewhere. Imagine the sensor in this picture is at 12 o'clock, my sensor would be at 3 o'clock, moving towards the engine. There just isn't any room to move a tool one it's managed to be placed on the sensor. I ended up snapping the sensor with the tool from autozone. I've been driving like this since this thread was created. I gave up! The only way I see is the exhaust needs to be dropped. This is insane by FORD!

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
I think I ended up using a flare wrench on the sensor nut, but it's been awhile. The wrench is fairly short & has a more acute angle than a standard wrench. I just remember there was very little choice in angle to get at it, though my pic makes it look fairly accessible.

RonB1964

Reaction score
I replaced mine a few months ago. (2000 Exp 5.4 4x4) I didn't need to drop the exhaust. Started with a shot of penetrating oil. Used a heavy duty sensor tool, clipped the sensor wire to get it out of the way. Removed the front tire and wheel well splash guard. Was able to get an extension with a u-joint on the sensor tool hooked up to a breaker bar out where my knuckles were safe.