Anyone towing a 26+’ enclosed trailer with their 4th Gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed this from LI, NY to Maine and it towed great but the wind was moving my truck around that buddy in the back seat looked like a bobble head. Only had 2 sleds so overall weight should hAve been 3500-4K but ordered sumo springs and putting in 5100’s because I HATE squat. Power was just as good if not better then my hemi ram.

View attachment 34869

Thanks, I really want the Expy to do it all. I need to get the toys to Moab and the dunes while being inside. I loved sledding. My wife said “it’s the sand or the snow. You pick, because your not doing both anymore.” After having a kid. Side by sides and quads are a little more family friendly so sand it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed this from LI, NY to Maine and it towed great but the wind was moving my truck around that buddy in the back seat looked like a bobble head. Only had 2 sleds so overall weight should hAve been 3500-4K but ordered sumo springs and putting in 5100’s because I HATE squat. Power was just as good if not better then my hemi ram.

View attachment 34869

Thanks, I really want the Expy to do it all. I need to get the toys to Moab and the dunes while being inside. I loved sledding. My wife said “it’s the sand or the snow. You pick, because your not doing both anymore.” After having a kid. Side by sides and quads are a little more family friendly so sand it is.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have a 2017 EL (Max for later years). I tow a 7K, 30' travel trailer with it. It's fine, as long as you use a decent WDH with sway control. Mine is a relatively inexpensive Husky Centerline and it does the job. It's a bit squirrely when it's windy, but I can handle it comfortably with one hand during normal driving. I always suggest renting and seeing how comfortable you feel.

FeO2

Reaction score
So, while towing these trailers;

What rpms and what gear is your tranny in on typical flat highway at 70 mph?

Then, how does it handle grades? i.e. uphill for a short while and then a longer uphill climb? (rpms/gear)

Headwinds any issue?

2010 Limited Expy owner here, looking for future consideration....

DSF1

Reaction score
Just FYI, I tow an 8800 GVWR 34' passport elite TT. I use the Hensley Arrow hitch assembly . Sway is utterly a non issue and the 5.4 is just simply amazing. We dont live in the Rockies, by any means, but we have our share of hills . The truck cruises at 60 without breaking a sweat and all but the worst hills are handled with aplom. On the worst hills I do my best to keep it from shifting to 3rd gear (and wish I had an override control) as I'm no fan of 5500 rpm while towing.
The expeditions are, in my opinion, amazing. Ran a 2010 f150 before this and what I really love about the expy is the IRS . Ford did their homework in this one. It hops FAR less and doesn't squat any worse than the f150 fully loaded. That's the beauty of IRS - no rear axle dancing around when you hit a hole or bump.
Oh! I DO run 10ply eq tires at 80psi in the rear and 50 in the front. These were also game changers- almost as much as the Hensley.

Thomas Warden

Reaction score
I’m on the road now towing a 28’ Jayco Travel Trailer and into my third week. I use a Blue Ox WD hitch and have had no problems so far with my 2019 XLT. It gets a little swerve sometimes when being passed or passing a large truck.

DSF1

Reaction score
Anyone else here using a hensley? Passing 18 wheelers dont even register. Not trying to shamelessly plug a minor, but I think they should be mandatory! Total game changers. Power and braking aren't our issues, but Expeditions are relatively short dogs so a long tail needs to be well controlled

Bury

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expy and towed a 25' TT with 2 friction sway bars and still got swayed. I bought a Propride WDH (very similar to Hensley, google it) and it worked much, much better. FYI, just traded in my TT for a Class A so now I will be trying to sell the Propride, but I was very impressed with the difference.

DSF1

Reaction score
Pro pride is actually made by the fellow who originally designed the hensley, so it has a small host of engineering improvements - not that either are anything less than phenomenal!

OP
OP
Fozzy

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is one expensive hitch.