Apparently my Expedition doesn't like the rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well apparently my 98 Expedition XLT doesn't like rain. This morning was the first hard rain that I have driven in.

After about 10 minutes of driving in the rain, all the yellow lights inside the TACH (4x4, A4WD, 4LOW, LOW WASH) would flash on and off together. I could hear a relay click everytime they came on, but nothing when they turned off. After about 40 minutes (1 hour commute) the O/D light on the shifter was flashing, (the pattern was independant of the dash lights that were flashing.)

The O/D flash was steady, the dash lights were on and off randomly.

I was running in 2HI and the over drive sure seemed to be working (60mph at approx 1800RPM).

I guess water is getting in somewhere and playing with the wires?

Has anyone had this?

97with24"

Reaction score
I have had the same problem, it turns out that either my windshield has a leak or the a pillar body seam is leaking and getting down there. was there any water on the floor that you noticed? also feel under the dash and see if there is any moisture on the wires and other stuff there.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked. No water on the floor, but there is a harness hanging down (it has a push mount but it's hanging above the pedals). It says "SUSP/EVO TEST", anyway, I touched it, and water came out. The truck has also been sitting outside for 5 hours since I shut it off. When I opened the door, there were sounds of relays and other "creeking" type sounds coming from under the dash.

This will be WONDERFUL.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found the leak. It's where the roof dips in for the roof rack. Where that channel meets the windshield. I pulled the rubber surround back and it looks like they loaded it up with silicone at one point.

I temporarily put some caulk in there and taped plastic over the whole area because it was going to rain again. It probably won't dry though. I also stuffed some rags above the headliner while it's raining.

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... What?... if I don't have that weather stripping on it'll do That? well thats great I Really have to go get some then... I had to take that off last summer because it was dry rotting and was never installed right. Ive only ever seen a drop come in the car from that when I blasted the area with a hose.

Well I hope all that goes away for you and looks like I may need to run out to autozone tomorrow!

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Found the leak. It's where the roof dips in for the roof rack. Where that channel meets the windshield. I pulled the rubber surround back and it looks like they loaded it up with silicone at one point.

I temporarily put some caulk in there and taped plastic over the whole area because it was going to rain again. It probably won't dry though. I also stuffed some rags above the headliner while it's raining.

Im pretty sure there was a TSB on this exact problem... You can go to any local dealer and have them checked the history to see if this was done. If it wasnt done they are obligated to do the TSB at no cost to you.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it hasn't been done, what is their obligation to fix any electrical damage caused by it?

Is there somewhere online that I can put in my VIN and see what recalls and buletins are out there?

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought my leak was fixed, but my headliner was a little wet after the last heavy rain.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
98EXPY 5-0, I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but if it is only a TSB, the dealership will not fix it for free. TSBs will only be fixed for free when under the original factory 3YR/36K mile warrantee. The fix is simply having the windshield removed and then re-sealed. It will cost you about $100.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something else to check is the sunroof drains if you have one. When those get clogged, water will run down the A-pillar and get the ECU wet shorting it out.