"blind spot detection with cross traffic" fault in the rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This morning while driving in the rain (steady rain, but not driving through deep puddles or anything) I got a fault on "blind spot detection with cross traffic"

It cleared itself eventually. (Very annoying because it leaves bright yellow lights on both side mirrors).

Is this cause for concern or just something that happens in the rain sometimes?

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has done that in heavy rain too. It clears and then comes back again depending on the rain.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very annoying. You would think the industry is building commercial aircraft with all these traffic sensors and other gadgets. At least at 30,000 feet you have some time to react.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very annoying. You would think the industry is building commercial aircraft with all these traffic sensors and other gadgets. At least at 30,000 feet you have some time to react.

Its the nature of radar/ultrasonic. Although there are various frequencies most use a frequency in the K band. Hence the reason old radar detectors go off all the time. Everyone knows how radar works and rain and heavy particles in the air give it false readings so it has no choice but to shut off after a certain amount of inconsistencies.

It is what it is until some genius designs something else.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its the nature of radar/ultrasonic. Although there are various frequencies most use a frequency in the K band. Hence the reason old radar detectors go off all the time. Everyone knows how radar works and rain and heavy particles in the air give it false readings so it has no choice but to shut off after a certain amount of inconsistencies.

It is what it is until some genius designs something else.

Thanks.

If it is "normal" then I can ignore it. I just wanted to be sure it was not a problem that required a repair.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks.

If it is "normal" then I can ignore it. I just wanted to be sure it was not a problem that required a repair.
I got fed up with this issue, weathertech mudflaps fixed it. The design is poor where the sensors are located. All the rain water from road shoots up into the back bumper, mud flaps fixed that, in really heavy rain you will still get the error due to radar readings but it’s cut back error message by 80%+ with this fix.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got fed up with this issue, weathertech mudflaps fixed it. The design is poor where the sensors are located. All the rain water from road shoots up into the back bumper, mud flaps fixed that, in really heavy rain you will still get the error due to radar readings but it’s cut back error message by 80%+ with this fix.

Got any pictures of your expy with the flaps?

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t have the problem in heavy rain, but I’ve had the weathertech mudflaps pretty much from day 1. Don’t have a picture, but they are really unobtrusive and don’t scream ‘aftermarket’, if that’s what you are worried about.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Big downpour today with tornado watch; when it was coming down in sheets blind spot and cross-traffic alerts came on. I have the Weathertech flaps front and back.