Auto reverse tilt side mirrors.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the previous vehicles our family has owned had this feature. 360 camera is a piss poor excuse for omitting a feature that would have taken a few minutes of computer programming to integrate and a checkbox somewhere in the settings.
Can’t see a curb well enough on the small 360 display. If at least the passenger side mirror camera could be selected and zoomed in. Wife got plenty of curb rash parallel parking the Expy in town. MSRP on our trim was $82k. No excuse. Someone at Ford fell asleep during the design stage.

In fords defense, this hasnt been offered in the expy since 2006. Then, the mirrors would get stuck in down position so they dropped it for third gen. And now, without the feature, we got the annoyin ass poppin mirror issue. Yall have plattys with the 360 camera, others with xlt and low level ltds are more screwed.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In fords defense, this hasnt been offered in the expy since 2006. Then, the mirrors would get stuck in down position so they dropped it for third gen. And now, without the feature, we got the annoyin ass poppin mirror issue. Yall have plattys with the 360 camera, others with xlt and low level ltds are more screwed.

That is one reason Ford should offer a tow mirror for the new Expy. Ford usually puts a decent blind spot mirror in their tow set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NukeLife

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the previous vehicles our family has owned had this feature. 360 camera is a piss poor excuse for omitting a feature that would have taken a few minutes of computer programming to integrate and a checkbox somewhere in the settings.
Can’t see a curb well enough on the small 360 display. If at least the passenger side mirror camera could be selected and zoomed in. Wife got plenty of curb rash parallel parking the Expy in town. MSRP on our trim was $82k. No excuse. Someone at Ford fell asleep during the design stage.

Exactly Gordon.
The 360 camera is a good tool for estimating how close you are. But the only sure way is to watch your tires in the side view mirror. I guess it really just depends on how picky you are about keeping your rims looking new (and not cutting your sidewalls).
I’ll try that trick using the memory spot#3.
Thanks for the suggestion guys!

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never liked the auto tilt mirror in any vehicle that I’ve owned. I currently have two cars with it and it never tilts to where I can see what I need. And none I have owned let me program in or save the desired tilted position.

I do wish larger mirrors were an option on the new Expeditions. These mirrors are a bit small for towing, IMO.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never liked the auto tilt mirror in any vehicle that I’ve owned. I currently have two cars with it and it never tilts to where I can see what I need. And none I have owned let me program in or save the desired tilted position.

I do wish larger mirrors were an option on the new Expeditions. These mirrors are a bit small for towing, IMO.

Agree. Having driven a truck for years and being one of those folks that backs in to all parking spots, I use my side views to park. If they tilt down I can’t see what’s on either side of me! My wife’s car has the “feature” and I shut it off.

But...it sure seems like an easy software feature that they could add and give the ability to disable, then all of us could be happy.

Last edited:

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with the 360 camera opinion but you can do this if you really want it to tilt in R.

Reverse Tilt Mirror Calibration:

1) Switch the ignition on
2) Press the memory button you want to setup
3) Select the mirror you want to adjust
4) Put your vehicle into reverse (R) and adjust the mirror where desired
5) Hold the memory button for 5 seconds to save the setting
6) Press the mirror button and return to park (P)
7) Hold the memory button again until saved

When in reverse push mirror button to tilt. Push it again to return it to normal position.
Wow. Didn't know that. Great Hack. Doesn't work on my 2017 Explorer Platinum, but will DEFINTELY try this on the 2020 Expedition when it gets here.

OP
OP
NukeLife

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow. Didn't know that. Great Hack. Doesn't work on my 2017 Explorer Platinum, but will DEFINTELY try this on the 2020 Expedition when it gets here.

I just tried this today. Couldn’t get it to work on my 2018.
I ended up using my #3 preset to accomplish the mirror tilt.
Of course you have to go through Park to be able to switch driver presets, so it’s not a perfect solution.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It worked great on my 2019 XLT 202a. Only one mirror will tilt at a time. You have to push the mirror adjust button to get the mirror that you want to tilt. You can push it before or after shifting into reverse.

Jay Dubs

Reaction score
This works for me but it also sometimes experiences the clicking issue. Is there a specific sequence of operations or reprogramming that can be done to correct that?