Auto Start Stop Damage turbo's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, but you’d still have to put it in Sport Mode every time you start the truck, which is the main annoying thing about the auto-start/stop button.

Is there a way to make the Expy default to Sport Mode all the time? I’d LOVE that.
I assume Forscan could set the default to Sport mode. I'm getting ready to default traction mode to off, set auto start/stop to disabled and set a few other things. I use it at least every 6 months to erase memory and make it learn again. It's amazing the difference in performance, shifting, etc. after 2 drivers drive it their way for 6 months. When I first got my Expy, it was sluggish, shifted funny, among other things. Call it a placebo, but it felt like a new vehicle after wiping the memory. My mileage also improved drastically.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They can not even detect the disablers. The warranty issue has to do with the obvious like air intake or exhaust.

Auto start will destroy the truck, it’s a stupid concept.

I've always disabled it on my cars if I could.

There are a LOT of things that have to go right for an engine to start - there are fewer things that have to go right for an engine to continue to run. I'm okay with the additional fuel consumption from not having it in auto start/stop mode.

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
I’m thankful my 2023 came without AS/S
Unfortunately, the 304A Stealth Performance Package didn't allow AS/S delete as an option or I definitely would have deleted it. There are threads about why some Expy models allow AS/S delete and some don't, but my guess, based on the extra HP and abysmal MPG of my 304A, is that the 304A can't pass federal emissions and MPG standards unless AS/S is installed and active. But here in Sunny South Florida, if you forget to disable that AS/S in July, you start boiling at the first traffic light when it shuts off the engine!

josedirte4

Reaction score
Get an Auto-Start/Stop eliminator. It's plug and play for $99. Well worth it. Don't use forscan as it disables more features you need to keep running.

ForeverDrivin

Reaction score
Turbos are not new technology, they have been engineered to survive the stresses Ford, and other companies, put them through.

First, comparing them to diesels is out of the question lol. An average turbo diesel will run AT LEAST double the pressure of a turbo gasser. That is double the stress the turbo has to relieve every time it shuts off. They are also normally bigger in size and are not cooled in any meaningful way.

These turbos on our newer gas vehicles have great tech in them. They are water cooled, no uncontrolled heat characteristics are going to damage a stopped turbo impeller or housing. The bearings will keep oil inside as the turbo winds down during a start/stop cycle, which is only a second or two by the way. Sure, with the engine off there is little oil flow to the turbo, but there is also little flow out of the turbo as well, so oil stays trapped and lets the turbo wind down and start back up easily.

Let alone the fact that the auto S/S does not engage without a few met parameters, it is not going to engage if some part of the system is out of its comfort zone.

There is minor added wear to starter and batteries. The worst treatment you can give your starter and battery are cold starts. Hot starts are effortless for these parts.

At the end of the day, a turbo will become a wear item when you want a car going 150k+, especially depending on maintenance and use. However, maintain your vehicle and I suspect very few major issues will come from it.

As a side note I wish I was willing to cash in on people's ignorance like the guys who make **** like S/S disablers! $99 for a feature REMOVER that you don't even know the engineering behind. Hilarious. I wish.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turbos are not new technology, they have been engineered to survive the stresses Ford, and other companies, put them through.

First, comparing them to diesels is out of the question lol. An average turbo diesel will run AT LEAST double the pressure of a turbo gasser. That is double the stress the turbo has to relieve every time it shuts off. They are also normally bigger in size and are not cooled in any meaningful way.

These turbos on our newer gas vehicles have great tech in them. They are water cooled, no uncontrolled heat characteristics are going to damage a stopped turbo impeller or housing. The bearings will keep oil inside as the turbo winds down during a start/stop cycle, which is only a second or two by the way. Sure, with the engine off there is little oil flow to the turbo, but there is also little flow out of the turbo as well, so oil stays trapped and lets the turbo wind down and start back up easily.

Let alone the fact that the auto S/S does not engage without a few met parameters, it is not going to engage if some part of the system is out of its comfort zone.

There is minor added wear to starter and batteries. The worst treatment you can give your starter and battery are cold starts. Hot starts are effortless for these parts.

At the end of the day, a turbo will become a wear item when you want a car going 150k+, especially depending on maintenance and use. However, maintain your vehicle and I suspect very few major issues will come from it.

As a side note I wish I was willing to cash in on people's ignorance like the guys who make **** like S/S disablers! $99 for a feature REMOVER that you don't even know the engineering behind. Hilarious. I wish.

I still installed 4D tech disabler to feel good when I drive, and to save the AGM battery.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my car, if I don't keep the battery on a trickle charger, the AS/S will not engage due to battery charging. My drives are short, less than 20 miles one-way so driving never fully charges the battery. Kind of a poor man's AS/S delete!

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I understand it the ass won't work if the battery is low. There has to be something that tells it the battery is low. Got to find what sends the low voltage signal to it and if possible disable it.
I just routinely would turn off the switch when I start up my vehicle; then my battery started slowly dying and it self-cancelled the A.S.S. I have a new battery now and have to remember to manually turn it off each time I drive it...which isn't all that much (2-3X/wk). I agree with those who feel that the wear and tear this feature can cause far outweighs the savings on fuel.